Portability of Cell Phone Numbers

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wdlove, Sep 15, 2003.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

2. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Re: Portability of Cell Phone Numbers

WD, i LOVE you! :D I was thinking of renewing my sprint contract... but i wanted to do tmobile with isynch and whatnot. but didn't wanna lose my #. I use it for business.

You've saved me. I was ready to pop over to sprint and get a new plan TODAY. :)

3. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    ahhh, thanks for that, i was wondering when this was coming into effect. some people are already paying for this service without even knowing it, as is the corruption and exploitation of the US cellphone market. As far as i'm aware, a lot of users are being charged upto and over a buck a month for this service even though it has yet to be offered and they may not even use it. i hope the next thing to shake up the industry is free incoming calls. You should not have to pay to receive calls, it's disgusting, nowhere else in the world (as far as i'm aware) charges you for this.

ok, rant over, thanks for the info wdlove

4. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

Re: Portability of Cell Phone Numbers

i thought the way it works with cell phone companies is that for the first year or two, you get charged an early termination fee, but after that, you are free to terminate any time... why don't your wife hold off on canceling and simply change in nov. when she can keep her number?

5. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

Re: Re: Portability of Cell Phone Numbers

My wife said that Sprint told her that to continue service she would have to agree to another 1 year contract. There would still be a early termination fee. Since she is a visiting nurse she needs a reliable phone. It is a safety factor. One of the areas that she sees patients regularly, has poor to no service. It's critical that she can contact her office, doctors, and patients. Just yesterday in one of those areas there was a shooting! :(

6. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

Re: Re: Re: Portability of Cell Phone Numbers

THAT sucks! :mad:

sorry man... hope it works out well for her.

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

wow 10,000 miles for returning att customers. wow i would gladly take that, i have been more than pleased with att, better than sprint in my area.

iJon

8. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I've found Sprint to be superior in Florida. My girlfriend has Tmobile which always cuts out and my friend has ATT which was so terrible he switched to Sprint a week before his contract expired. I love it and the only thing I wish Sprint had was a BT phone. I'd be a happy camper, then!

9. risekevin macrumors newbie

Re: Re: Re: Portability of Cell Phone Numbers

Wow I can't believe they lied to her. That is completely untrue what they told her. I have been without a contract for a couple years now on Sprint PCS, and will be changing to Cingular on November 25th! I have been waiting since last year when I first heard that this legislation was in the works.

It's about time something like this happened to shake up the industry that has been taking advantage of us for so long. This will definitely make the providers offer more services without extra fees for them, to keep people from leaving!

10. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

Re: Re: Re: Re: Portability of Cell Phone Numbers

My wife's comment was, "I wonder how he did that." I wish you luck with the transfer. Hopefully there won't be any of the snags that I've seen mentioned. Please keep us posted.

11. risekevin macrumors newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Portability of Cell Phone Numbers

By simply doing nothing. When the contract ends they don't disconnect you. It just keeps going at the rate and package details you had in your contract. But you are no longer bounded by the 1 or 2-years you had committed to on signup. It's only if you change your plan to get a better rate, more minutes, etc..that you may have to sign a new contract. But if you stick with what you have then you do nothing and you just keeping getting your monthly bill and no hassle when you want to cancel.

12. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

The bad thing is that it is only in the top 100 markets. Since I work for Verizon, I have had all of this stuff drilled in my head. If anyone in Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama N. Carolina, VA, or Kentucky wants verizon, let me know, adn I will hook you up

13. risekevin macrumors newbie

for free? I'll take a Georgia number if its free.

*obviously i know its not free. the above was playful joking*

14. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, I can get you a free phone, 3,000 moblie to mobile mintues for free, and 2,000 text messages a month for free. ;)

15. risekevin macrumors newbie

Ok, now whats the catch? Whats NOT free in order to get all the rest for free....for instance if i didnt want to be able to make non-mobile to mobile calls, etc... heheh

16. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

I will consider Verizon whenever they switch to GSM. Until then, I'm sticking with T-Mobile.

17. risekevin macrumors newbie

I despise Verizon as a company and for the service they provide.

When I switch it will be to Cingular most likely, otherwise Nextel (yeah more expensive).

18. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Just your monthy plan. $39.99 is 400 anytime, unlimited nights and weekends, 3,000 mobile to mobile, etc.

As for GSM. Nope. Unless you travel overseas, it isn't all that. Personally, I like CDMA. Much better coverage.

19. risekevin macrumors newbie

Exactly...living in New York, Europe is very close so I go there frequently and always have to rent or go without a phone. So it will be nice to get Cingular or Nextel with GSM chip technology.

The whole world is getting smaller and smaller with the internet and whatnot...companies that don't use the technology that the rest of the world is using (for instance GSM) will be left in the dust.

Remember back when cell phones first came out? You had to pay per minute. Then we got good calling plans. Then free long distance. Before long, we'll be able to roam internationally for free!!!! Not those on the evil empire of Verizon though.