Portable dvd player vs ibook

Discussion in 'macOS' started by crazycat, Dec 16, 2005.

1. crazycat macrumors 65816

Dec 5, 2005
    Why can i watch DVD's from all over the world on my portable dvd player (i dont have one) but cant on my ibook? What law is there which allows dvd players to play multi region dvd's but laptops cant?
  2. ftaok macrumors 601

Jan 23, 2002
    East Coast
    The official reason that region codes exists is that the copyright owners of the content varies from region to region. For example, let's say that Fox owns the rights to the Simpsons in the US and Canada, and that Matt Groenig owns the rights to the Simpsons everywhere else. Why should Fox be able to make available Simpsons content in parts of the world where they don't own the rights too?

So, the region codes were developed so that material from US/Canada is not easily playable in other parts of the world.

Now to answer your question. Apple obeys the region code in their products because they respect the copyrights of the content providers. I'm not aware of the brand of DVD player you have, but whoever it's made by chooses not to protect the copyright owners. I would expect that the DVD player you have is not a Name Brand, but I could be wrong.

3. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
  4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    It's nothing to do with rights (for example, Australia, New Zealand, and all of South and Central America are in the same region). Studios like to release movies on different dates in different parts of the world, for a variety of reasons (some even almost make sense, such as extra time for translation, but the delays even happen when none is required). The region codes are there to protect ticket sales at the cinema by making it harder for people in the later release countries to buy a disc in advance.
  5. Loge macrumors 68020

Jun 24, 2004
    Region coding is the most stupid thing about DVDs, apart from possibly intros that can't be skipped. Fortunately most consumer DVD players have hacks/workarounds at least for the region coding.
  6. crazycat thread starter macrumors 65816

Dec 5, 2005
    Sony :confused: