Portable firewire hardrive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jobrien, Sep 11, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

Apr 8, 2007
    So in my film program at school we are required to get a external harddrive.
    It needs to be firewire and at least 300gb.
    I decided i want a portable one so that i dont need to worry about plugging it into power when im around with my macbook.
    So. I THINK ive narrowed it down to these 3.
    Im open to other options though. I would like to keep it at or around 200.

Lacie little disk 500gb firewire - 301842 $150
    Lacie rugged all terrain 500gb firewire - 301371 - $185
    WD my passport studio 500gb firewire - WDMT5000TN - 190

Now, ive heard good things about all of them. Keep in mind it will constantly be in a backpack, and may possible be getting bumped around. I like the size of the little disk, look of the passport and durability of the all terrain.

Any tips? suggestions? anything. I need it by tuesday. So i need to decide fast

Thanks in advance,
  2. macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 8, 2007
    those are awesome. Only problem being as im in canada, the chances of it making it to my door by 8am tuesday is practically slim to none. BUT i may consider buying one of those for my own personal projects. They are so well priced! and look cool as hell!
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 8, 2007
    Anybody have specific opinions on the my passport studio? It seems like for every good review there like 4 bad ones. Anyone on here have experience?
  5. macrumors newbie

Sep 11, 2009
    Silicon Valley, CA
    It largely depends on what you'll be editing, as that is what I'm assuming you'll be using the portable drive for. For any non-HD footage, the My Passport Studio should do fine, but if you're looking to do anything in high-definition, I would look for a portable drive having nothing short of FW800 and a 7200 rpm drive. HD really puts a beating on hard drives. I speak from experience, just so you won't be left with a hole in your wallet. :p
  6. 1ne
    macrumors regular

Jun 16, 2009
    Canada Oil Country
    I was looking at 500GB Iomega FW800. It seems like the price change everyday. :confused::confused::confused:

Yesterday it was at $160. Today $180. Go Figure...

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 8, 2007
    well the my passport has firewire 800. I will be editing mostly sd this year, but i will be doing lots of hd on my own.
    I think the lacie all terrain may be a good choice. The idea of having a tough harddrive for when im on set and everything seems like a good idea