Portable G5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mcmillan, Jul 4, 2004.

1. mcmillan macrumors 6502

When will the iBook and PowerBook have a G5 processor?

2. AngeredTree macrumors member

PowerBook G5 - Not until MWSF in January AT LEAST

iBook G5 - Maybe in late 2005, but at least a year I would guess

3. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

My thoughts exactly. What are you planning on doing with this computer? Chances are, the current PB's can do it. Or maybe you're just curious... ;).

JOD8FY

4. mcmillan thread starter macrumors 6502

I was asking just for curious.

I also checked in apple-history.com and theapplemuseum.com the following things:
    Apple released the PowerMac G4 on 1999, then on 2001 they released the PowerBook G4, finally on 2003 they finished the transition to from G3 to G4 with the release of the iBook G4.
    This means that Apple should release the PowerBook on 2005 and the iBook on 2007. :confused: This doesn's sounds good, anyway, I think that Apple will be quicker on upgrading all the systems to G5 this time.

UPDATE: I change a mistake calculating the years

5. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Many people were expecting a G5 iMac a week ago - and it didn't happen. Sometimes Apple surprises us - in good and bad ways.

I think we'll see:

G5 iMac September 2004
    G5 PowerMac update December 2005
    G5 Powerbook January/February 2005
    G5 iBook January/February 2006

That's just my estimate - nothing too aggressive - I'm sure Mac fans want everything sooner. :D

6. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

That was 2 years with the powerbook. The Powermac G5 was released in 2003. The rumors are saying 2005 for Powerbook G5. That is also 2 years. I have no clue why they waited for the ibook to become G4 but, only apple knows.

7. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

I agree with Carletonmusic with his timeframe estimates.

8. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

No technical reason...I think they just delayed the transition from G3 to G4 to preserve PowerBook sales for as long as possible. And then when they finally upgrade the iBook line to a G4, it was an already obsolete 800MHz chip with only 256KB of L2 cache (instead of the 512K L2 cache versions used in the PowerBook range). You see this all the time in Apple's product lineups...seemingly artifically crippled low-end models, apparently only crippled for the purposes of preserving sales of the higher-end models. For example, why did the 1.6GHz G5 only ship with 4 RAM slots instead of 8, like on the other two models? Cost saving? Hardly...the pads for the missing 4 slots are there on the motherboard. How much would 4 plastic DIMM connectors cost?!?!

9. Coolvirus007 macrumors regular

If you can't wait, you can stick a apple display and a battery supply your powermac g5 :p . The battery will probably last about 1.5 minutes though (same battery life as my 95' compaq).

10. OziMac macrumors 6502

It's also because some people actually like cheap computers (notwithstanding that they could always be a little cheaper).

11. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

Everyone likes cheap computers. I just don't see how not fitting 4 plastic DIMM sockets to a motherboard which already has the solder pads present for them could possibly save any more than one or two dollars in raw material costs. I'd guess that leaving the DIMM sockets out may even increase production costs, because now you need to have a separate assembly line, or at least a separate assembly process/program for the boards with only 4 DIMM sockets versus 8, and separate inventory management.

We all know why Apple only fitted 4 sockets to the low-end G5...to segment it from the mid-range 1.8GHz model. If that's the way they need to do things to make their business successful, then I suppose that's what they need to do, and consumers can vote with their wallets and buy something else if they don't like it. What I don't believe for a second is that Apple chooses to leave out low-cost components like industry-standard DDR-SDRAM slot connectors to save money and pass those costs onto the lucky consumer.

12. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

PEOPLE! THE G5 IS PORTABLE! ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS STRAP IT TO YOUR BACK, CARRY A PORTABLE POWER SUPPLY, MONITOR, KEYBOARD, & MOUSE AND AWAY YOU GO!

The powerbook G5 will come out when it's ready, and no sooner than IBM finishes it's powertune tech.

13. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

i agree that it's actually costing them more in maintaining two seperate designs/production lines for the sole purpose of 4/8 RAM sockets. the only thing this is accomplishing is making apple look like a bunch of *******s too, THESE ARE PRO MACHINES, PROS KNOW WHEN YOU TRY TO PULL A FAST ONE ON THEM!