Portable OS X

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by pjkelnhofer, Jan 26, 2004.

1. pjkelnhofer macrumors 6502a

Sep 8, 2003
    I am looking to buy a portable Mac. I am wondering what is the oldest model (assuming I can track down a used one on eBay) that can run OS X (specifically Panther)?
    I assume that all the PowerBook G3's can, but wasn't there a problem with OS X and the early G3 chips or am I just confused?
  2. sethypoo macrumors 68000

Oct 8, 2003
    Sacramento, CA, USA
    You may want to consider buying a new/refurbished G4 based computer. Go to http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...AbxY/,42 to see some refurbished models of G3 iBooks and PowerBook G4's. Trust me, you'll get your money's worth if you go for the G4: better load times, snappier editing of DV and photos, the list goes on and on. Not to mention that Panther works much, much better on a G4. G3's are find and all, but Apple has clearly been trying to phase them out.

I have a 12" PowerBook G4 rev. A (with a 867Mhz G4 chip) that I positively love. It's got 640MB of RAM, so it's snappy in that department. Plus, Panther purrs along on this thing. It's a really fine machine. Amazing portable, too, check out www.apple.com/powerbook/index12.html for more info. You can get it as low as $1,399.00 on Apple, maybe cheaper on eBay. Buying from Apple right now, by the way, has Panther pre-installed. Unless you already own it, you won't have to buy it new.

If you're a teacher/student/professor or somehow connected to a school/college, you can get discounts on just about any Apple product. I am pretty sure you can get discounts it you're a buisness user.

Hope this helps you!
  3. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

Dec 15, 2002
    All but the very first Powerbook G3's are supported i belive. All of the origonal ibooks are supported to. But supported and runs well are 2 different things. I would say save up, get a new or refurb. If you get the absolute low end you won't be happy, and turned off of the mac. OS X is a revolution, but it leaves old hardware behind, so if you plan on anything other than safari and mail, it might be worth holding out. I wouldn't recommend anything older than a dual usb ibook, g3 500 powerbook, or a 500 mhz g4 powerbook (not the 550).