Portable Speakers

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by stevietheb, Jul 27, 2004.

1. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

My wife and I are in the midst of planning a move from Texas to Boston, MA (coming up at the end of August). We have decided to rent a truck and drive it ourselves, hoping to make a few fun stops along the way (i.e. Niagara Falls).

We had just begun looking into various rental companies when we discovered, to our horror, that most of these trucks do not come with cassette players (in which we would use tapes and/or our tape adapter in conjunction with iBook and iPod). The thought of driving 30+ hrs with no music of our own, only the radio, sounds miserable. Therefore, we're now looking into a set of portable speakers. My major concern is that I'd like a sturdy set that can produce enough sound to get up over the sound of the engine and road. Does anyone have any suggestions?

At the moment I'm looking at Monster's iSpeaker? I like the design (at least the form factor), and the brand is well-respected. Anyone have experience with this product.

In case it matters--the iPod is 1st Gen...so no docking allowed!

Thanks!

2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Why don't you get the Griffin iTrip? That way you can listen to your iPod through the truck's radio. It's probably cheaper than speakers too, at $30-$40.

Lee Tom

3. stevietheb thread starter macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

We own a product similar to the iTrip (iRock, perhaps)...and hate it. It's difficult in a moderately-sized city (Austin isn't HUGE) to get a decent signal.

In addition, we've been wanting some portable speakers for a while...now we have a real excuse.

thanks

4. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

I have been demoing the JBL on tour speakers and they soud suprisingly good but only if you are within 10 feet of them. They might be just what you are looking for. The unit will cost $100 and will be available in august.

Also don't get an FM transmitter they sound VERY bad I have the iTrip and it is annoying to listen to.