Portable storage

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by stevo1st, Mar 16, 2007.

1. stevo1st macrumors newbie

Mar 16, 2007
    I recently purchased a macbook pro w/ final cut pro hd and I was curious to know what you mac people are using for portable storage or your main capture and render drive??
    I purchased a G Technology Gdrive 500gig, 7500rpm/8mb cache firewire 800/400 but I am not sure if this is the best I can do although it comes highly recommended. I am an......AVID MCHD/PC Professional editor working in the industry for many years and decided to dable in Final Cut to expand my portfolio. Very new to the MAC world so please be kind:)
    Any thoughts????
  2. zioxide macrumors 603

Dec 11, 2006
    Right now I use a 250 GB Western Digital MyBook Pro external hard drive as my main capture scratch using a firewire interface. It works great.

For editing DV the drive you purchased should work fine.
  3. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Jul 2, 2005
    I use a regular old USB 2.0 drive with Final Cut Express and it is my scratch/render/ and capture drive and I use it with Soundtrack and Livetype.. it holds all the loops and all the fonts... it works just fine.
  4. ChrisA macrumors G4

Jan 5, 2006
    Redondo Beach, California
    What format Video? Is this Mini DV or 1080i?

I hate to say "Read the Manual" but do notice that FCP has an 1,100 page user guide in PDF format. Inside there is a section that suggests what size and speed of disk might work depending on the video format, codec and the number of video streams. It goes over the difference between interal, FW and fiber channel disks. One DV stream is just under 4 megabytes per second Your disk is many times faster than that.
  5. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    I think your set up should be good. I have a GDrive and it works great! (although I don't use it for video editing.)