portable thunderbolt hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by radiohead14, Aug 6, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502a

2. macrumors regular

squaremon

LaCie is awesome! Been using rugged For years with no problem. I love all neil poultons design, matches apple product. His awesome!:D

3. macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

I believe Seagate put out a press release around the release of the MacBook Pro saying that they were working on getting go-flex thunderbolt stuff ready for autumn-winter time.

The only thing I care about is a thunderbolt enclosure or Sata-thunderbolt go flex dock, I've got a x25m sitting here doing nothing and I want to use it with my iMac without cracking it open.

Check OWC as well though, as they were apparently looking to get some stuff in for around August time. Quite what they were supposedly getting though is anyone's guess.

4. macrumors 65816

La Cie makes pretty case but uses cheap power supplies. I have had way too mangy fail on me over the years.

5. macrumors regular

i just wish someone would release a thunderbolt enclosure for a 2.5" drive then we could all put what ever we want in it (from SSDs to 1TB drives)

6. macrumors member

7. macrumors 68000

maril1111

Been using Lacie for over 3 years now and both drives are still going strong. So no problems and I would recommend Lacie as a brand in general

8. macrumors 6502a

I had two LaCie 2TB Big Disk Extreme external FireWire drives which both had their power supplies fail causing erratic behavior.

If you check the reviews on Amazon, LaCie gets a lot of 1 star ratings because of their failing power supplies.

9. macrumors 6502

Duke15

Ya I'm thinking of getting the Seagate one because it has the different connectors that can be used and apparently they're coming out with a thunderbolt one like the first response said, but I've read that they have some failure problems as well....anyone have experience with seagate, my current western digital is good

10. macrumors 65816

reclusive46

I've had a seagate 1tb external drive in constant use for 4 1/2 years. I had a WD 1tb external for 2 years and it died with mediocre use but all my iMacs had WD and they were fine. So make doesn't really matter at the end of the day.

11. macrumors 601

clyde2801

Waiting for the chinese to reverse engineer TB and start putting moderately priced accessories on ebay....