Portable Xbox is real..

Discussion in 'Games' started by EvilDoc, Mar 20, 2006.

1. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

2. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

I think Microsoft will jump into it. I think they will also take the same approtch as sony in terms of, it will be more then a Game Machine, so no direct threat to the DS. I think it will prolly come with some form of Windows on it

3. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

The concept is cool -- especially if it ties in to their 360 strategy -- but that mockup is UGLY! (RUNS IN TERROR)

No, seriously, linking that pic in any press release immediately gives people a negative impression of a portable Xbox device.

4. jrk07 macrumors regular

Heres to hoping that they remember that a portable system is SMALL, LIGHT, and PORTABLE. For some reason I believe they like things to be gigantic (I'm looking at you first gen xbox controllers and xbox 1 console!).

If they have the same people behind the design of the 360 on this it has potential of looking cool and being fun.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Have you read the "Press Release" for the XboxVP over at iLounge.com?

It's hysterical!! "A 5.6 pound ultimate portable gaming system with a separate 8 pound power adapter."

:D :D

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Wow that thing is huge but it looks comfortable...think they will use mini disc IF they venture into the handheld market?

Bless

7. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

i couldnt find?

8. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

What I don't get is how they vehemently were against the idea of a portable gaming. They even said something along the lines of "Nintendo own the handheld market" and criticised Sony's efforts with the PSP, and even SUPPORT the DS!

I call fud. I don't even know what fud means but it sounds right.

If they do make such a device however, i severely doubt it would be anything like the DS. Likely be something more like the N-Gage, it does everything else first before attempting games. Where the DS is something that primarily does games (only with hacking or accessories) and the PSP tries a little on all fields.

10. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

11. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

"The game press has dubbed it an "iPod killer,''"

"• Quantax® PowerVP, a 200-watt, 8-pound power supply."

wow thats an ipod killer alright. i can see people running with an 8lb power supply.

any how from the actual specs of this machine i am guessing a 500 price tag. at least.

"• Intel® Xeon® MP-Xtreme™, a workstation-class dual-core 3.0GHz processor, backed by the Intel® E7505 chipset for high-bandwidth I/O configurations, and 1.5GB of DDR3 RAM.
    • ATI Technologies® FireGL™ V7350, a leading-edge graphics accelerator designed for the most complicated 3D models, with an additional 1GB of GDDR3 RAM.
    • Creative Technologies® X-Fi Elite Pro™ Audio Technology, permitting DVD-Audio quality, multi-channel surround sound with CMSS-3D, THX certification, Dolby® Digital EX and DTS-ES™ support, and "

12. i.Feature macrumors 6502

i.Feature

Thats one fugly mock-up... can you imagine trying to put that thing in your pocket?

13. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

This would all run incredibly hot. Safe to say this is definietly someone's idea of a joke.

14. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

You do know that was a joke? Right? Please tell me you know its a joke! :p ;) :D

15. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Oh I hope so too. That would be pretty embarrassing to be taken in by it. Paris Hilton wondering "why you need a dual-core Xeon to make phone calls"?? I don't think Miss Hilton can even say "xeon."

It's a funny read though...

16. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

If it landed on an iPod, it might be..

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

hold up. it says in the article "It's meant to compete directly with the PSP and DS". This bit leads me to believe it's fake. As the DS was always cited as Nintendo's 3rd pillar. If they want to compete with anything from Nintendo they want to go ahead against the GBA and the upcoming GB2.
    That sentence though. it just seems a little suspicious. something that an Xbox fanboy would come up with, who seemed miffed that MS weren't in the handheld market.

So is this actually officially announced and real? any word from MS?

18. bense27 macrumors regular

Pretty cool, but I wouldn't buy it. I hate handhelds

19. Stevez0r macrumors member

Agreed it's one ugly mock-up. All they did was take a 360 controller, stretch it and add a screen. Love the idea, though.

This is just me, I wish that you didn't have to buy two copies of the same game say to play on PSP and PS2.

20. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

All I need is a handheld that plays Halo 2 online so that when I go home I can still play. Heck, I don't even need a screen, just have some AV cables from the device to a tv and it will be like regular XBox. That's all I need, now go make it Microsoft.

21. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

You know I'm not actually sure about that anymore. Sure, I think Nintendo was taking a gamble with DS and didn't know how it would be received, plus they didn't want to make GBA owners think they were getting outdated. To me this sounds more like a failsafe "If DS doesn't do well, we'll continue on to make a GBA2 and nobody will think anything of it, since we clearly said this was just a '3rd pillar'.

But now, DS is doing really great... GBA software has drastically slowed down it seems like, plus DS plays GBA games... so do you really think the DS is still a 3rd pillar or their new portable centerpiece?

That discussion probably belongs in another thread though...

Regarding the handheld, I'm definitely interested in what they come out with but I doubt I would get one - even if Halo came out for (and I'm a big Halo fan)... I just don't really care to play those games again on a portable; I'd rather play fresh games ala DS/GBA (personally).

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The GB2 is in development though. The single screened, non-touchscreen version of the DS only with way more power. Think PSP with games. Especially the way Nintendo are currently valuing beautiful design and crystal screens. The GB2 will be pretty dandy.

You have a good point there. Why play something as big and grand as Halo 3 on an Xbox 360, 5.1 pumping away with a 1080i projector pushing a very nice game* experience (estimated, it might be as bad as Halo 2). Only to have a wee handheld version that doesn't even compare. Don't get me wrong I love handhelds. But there are games specifically made for handhelds and there are games specifically made for big consoles.

23. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

We really have no idea what the GB2 though, or whether it will even be released in the next two years.

24. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

A bit early to be annointing the next great Nintendo product, isn't it?

You guys really crack me up sometimes. :D