Portal

Discussion in 'Games' started by Ayre, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Ayre macrumors member

From the creators of Half-Life and Half-Life 2, comes a brand new game entitled Portal.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GWzmL05OlYA

Watch the video. It's a shame that this game has very little chance of coming to OS X, but it's still nice to see innovation without having to use fancy remotes or tilting controllers.

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

3. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Clever ^_^

In some parts of the video it made me think to hard. Ouch! me brains! (Talking about the "infinity" parts, where the player could see his own back or run after himself)

Isn't prey a first person shooter? Haven't played it. This Portal game looks more like a puzzle/adventure game. No enemies to shoot at and no weapons.

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I've seen it before...its nice but I wonder....will he only be able to open portals like a puzzle FPS or will he be able to whoop arse.

Bless

5. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

By looking at the video, Id' say that if there is any kind of woopassing involded, it will be done by opening portal entry points under protagonists and portal exits high on the ceiling or above pits. ^_^

6. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I just meant the concept. Prey made heavy use of identical 'portaling' technology, which really is pretty nifty.

The timing of the announcement just seems odd, given that Prey only released a week or two ago.

7. crachoar macrumors 6502a

The key difference being that this game will be fun, and indian-first-person-shooters aren't.

8. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I concur.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm rarely this excited about a PC game. I want. I want a lot. I love when big companies produce smart indie style games.

10. chairguru22 macrumors 6502a

this game looks awesome. im hoping it will be all puzzle based gaming, maybe with a couple bad guys in the puzzles. the FPS aspect can be found in Half Life 2: Episode 2 since Portal comes with it.

Portal COMES with Half Life 2: Episode 2 AND Team Fortress 2 (which also looks really cool)

11. p0intblank macrumors 68030

I watched the video over at IGN and I was VERY impressed. The possibilities are literally endless with what you could do with this tool. So this is an entirely separate game? At first I thought it was a new weapon in Half-Life 2. Either way, I'll definitely be checking it out when it is released.

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I concur, possibility is great. As long as they avoid the trap of it being a gimick after the first couple of times (like prey)

13. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

this game looks amazing. this and spore are the only upcoming games i'm really excited about.

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Wow.. puzzle stupidity reaches a new high! Kick ass!

15. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

In Prey, the portals are just doors, at least in the demo. In this game, the portals are part of the gameplay strategy. Completely different, and much cooler.

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

there seems to be a high quality trailer on Steam as well, I was downloading it but got caught up in a HL2 deathmatch so I cancelled it. probably high res seeing it was a large file.