Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bawstun

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
I am picking up an iPad on Friday (worst day of the year, I know) but it is when I'm getting paid and have finally saved up enough to purchase one. I've read extensive reviews on so many different cases I think I've made my head spin.

What I'm looking for is something that is mainly portable, stylish, and lap-friendly. I don't intend to be using my iPad much for standing it up on tables or desks so viewing angles and watching movies is not that important to me.

I need/want a good 'in-hand' feel or on the lap feel with minimal typing comfort and so far I'm debating between the Portenzo case or the BookBook. I like Portenzo but I am afraid of how the wood casing will hold up if I were to drop or somehow bang the case up against something hard. I like the BookBook because it's more flexible but I'm worried about the zipper wearing out/breaking over time. They are both almost equal in price and style (moleskin notebook / distressed leather book).

For an iPad newbie who hasn't ever owned a case which do you feel I'd be more comfortable with?

Portenzo!

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2010
Portenzo and BookBook

Of course, we love our cases, and would love for you to have one, but the choice is up to you. They are both quality cases.

If you search this forum for "Portenzo" you will find a number of threads reviewing it, and comparing it to other cases such as this one:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1039274/

and this one:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1042881/

You can also find opinions on our Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Portenzo/123071037743833) and on twitter.

Email us from the website (http://shop.portenzo.com) if you have any questions.

Thanks
Darin and the Portenzo Team

Batmac

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2009
This thread is a few days old so you may have picked a case already, but for what it's worth I'd be leery to recommend the BookBook due to the way it holds the iPad. I think the leather and elastic straps over the bezel look horribly distracting, not to mention aesthetically displeasing. I love the BookBook concept: good protection from scratches, and it looks fantastic closed. I wouldn't worry about the zippers either. But I can't get past those straps that cover up so much of the iPad's beautiful face. Of course if you've ordered one already I hope you love it :p

I was in the same boat as you and chose Portenzo, but the BookBook wasn't even on my list. Neither was the Dodo case for that matter...I didn't care for the exposed edges resulting from the more open frame design. I gave up on semi-permenant cases for a while and was leaning towards a simple sleeve just to protect the iPad during transportation. I liked the idea of a full-time case, but after looking at hundreds of them I couldn't find any that appealed to me. By chance I clicked on one of the Portenzo threads, and found the first case design which combined form and function in a way that appealed to me. I'm still waiting on my case, but given the near universal praise for their products I'm confident in the decision.

Dr.Grace

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2010
I've got a BookBook. It's definitely a cool idea and looks great when closed. I agree, however, that the elastic and leather straps just don't work as well as they should. Also, there's no good place for a stylus, and the back of the case tends to bend--it's not as stiff as it should be. I think I'd buy a Portenzo case if I had to replace this one.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
To me the plusses of the BookBook are the look and the dust control (zipper). It is almost tempting to purchase a BookBook and do a little engineering. Buy a case like a Macally on sale and cut off the back mounting system. Then cut the internal straps out of the BookBook and bond the back of the Macally into the BookBook. (Kind of a gamble on if it will fit or not, but it looks like there ie extra space). I am sure the back of a Noreve would fit into the BookBook, but unless you found one really cheep it would just be too expensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.