Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Emoo

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010
Texas
Stylus holder?

I was poking around some reviews of the Dodocase and came across the Portenzo, where I saw it had an option for a built in stylus area. Is the portenzo with the stylus holder any wider or larger than the one without? It looks like that's the case, but I haven't found specific dimensions of either version.

RichardMZhlubb

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2010
Washington, DC
I had a Dodocase for about two months. I loved it, but got sick of the corners coming unglued, no matter what I tried, so I ordered a Portenzo case. I've had it for a few days, and while I'm happy that I no longer have to worry about the corners, there are several areas where I really prefer the Dodocase's approach/design. First, the hinge on the Portenzo is much looser. I know that some people like the fact that the cover can be folded flat when open, but I miss being able to fold the cover under to prop the iPad up at an angle (with the Portenzo, it always slides flat eventually, no matter how I position the cover). It's also much looser whenever I pick it up. With the Dodocase, it felt like a book when closed (i.e., with a solid binding); but with the Portenzo, whenever I pick it up, the cover slides slightly. I also much prefer the aesthetics of the thinner bamboo frame on the Dodocase and the more open design around all of the ports.

I've superglued the corners back onto my Dodocase and I'm probably going to go back to using it (for as long as the superglue lasts).

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
I was poking around some reviews of the Dodocase and came across the Portenzo, where I saw it had an option for a built in stylus area. Is the portenzo with the stylus holder any wider or larger than the one without? It looks like that's the case, but I haven't found specific dimensions of either version.

According to Darin of Portezo, slightly wider, negligible weight difference..

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I had a Dodocase for about two months. I loved it, but got sick of the corners coming unglued, no matter what I tried, so I ordered a Portenzo case. I've had it for a few days, and while I'm happy that I no longer have to worry about the corners, there are several areas where I really prefer the Dodocase's approach/design. First, the hinge on the Portenzo is much looser. I know that some people like the fact that the cover can be folded flat when open, but I miss being able to fold the cover under to prop the iPad up at an angle (with the Portenzo, it always slides flat eventually, no matter how I position the cover). It's also much looser whenever I pick it up. With the Dodocase, it felt like a book when closed (i.e., with a solid binding); but with the Portenzo, whenever I pick it up, the cover slides slightly. I also much prefer the aesthetics of the thinner bamboo frame on the Dodocase and the more open design around all of the ports.

I've superglued the corners back onto my Dodocase and I'm probably going to go back to using it (for as long as the superglue lasts).

Those are pretty much the same negatives I've seen in thinking about switching from the Dodo to a Portenzo. Part of me would like the ability to fold flat, but its good to hear some feedback about these differences. I tend to use high-end headphones with large plugs, and the Dodo so far works with all of them. It looks like the Portenzo would be a tight fit? I agree that the more open Dodo frame looks better.

PieMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2002

Being a former DODOcase owner, I also agree with the points made here. I, too, got sick of the corners constantly coming unglued. I went through 3 sets of replacements in two months and could have gone through more but finally tired of the constant issue and sold it.
I also decided to give Portenzo a go and got their Composition case...top notch quality and the corner solution is perfect-no issues what-so-ever. That said, I would also consider buying another DODOcase down the road for the reasons listed by Richard...IF they finally resolve the corner issue. From what DODO has said recently on their Facebook and Twitter account, they have hopefully come up with a winning solution in collaboration with 3M...anybody have a new DODOcase that can confirm this?
I can also confirm that the hinge does give more with use on the Portenzo... but that's the only possible downside I can find and so far, it's not an issue and hopefully won't be.

tirnszw

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2010

Thanks pointing out the issue. It is of my concern, too.

I think DODOcase has better case design. I like how top and bottom lateral sides are exposed. I wish DODO and Portenzo collaborate on making an all-round moleskine-style book case. For now I am staying away from either DODO or Portenzo despite the good reviews on Portenzo.

Last edited:

bigbro1096

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
In a pickle!!! I want two cases like these but here's the problem I want one the composition case from portenzo but don't know if I should get the notebook style also from portenzo or the map paper lining from treegoo?! If anyone can help with either a review or personal experience/preference I would be grateful! Thank you for your time and help.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
These cases really look great. I was looking at them for my iPhone 4...only problem is their lack of a cutout for the camera. The Pad&Quill has a cutout so I guess I'll have to go with that, even though I generally like the design of the Portenzo a lot better. With the Pad&Quill you have to have the bright red interior, whereas you can choose a more subtle color with the Portenzo, which I like. I wish it were, at least, an option to have one. I'm also thinking about picking up an iPad 2 next year, and if the rumors are true about the rear-facing camera, it makes me nervous that they might not include a camera cutout on the iPad cases due to the lack of one on the iPhone case. Sure, it'd mess up the aesthetics a little bit, but it'd be great if we at least had the option to have one. :)

RichardMZhlubb

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2010
Washington, DC

Well, I gave the Portenzo case a month, but I just don't like it. The cover's too loose and it won't stay in place for typing. It always slides flat. It's too bad, because the case looks great. I'm just annoyed that I wasted $60.

tirnszw

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2010
Well, I gave the Portenzo case a month, but I just don't like it. The cover's too loose and it won't stay in place for typing. It always slides flat. It's too bad, because the case looks great. I'm just annoyed that I wasted $60.

Ive also tried regular Portenzo case for an hour and quickly found out that the cover is too loose and it is precarious as a typing stand. So I guess the case is not designed for functionality, but for aesthetics.

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
Ive also tried regular Portenzo case for an hour and quickly found out that the cover is too loose and it is precarious as a typing stand. So I guess the case is not designed for functionality, but for aesthetics.

Likewise. I loved my Portenzo — the best iPad case to date, aesthetically — but I couldn't live without a stable typing position. I've ended up back where I started: with an Apple case.

SimonBS

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2009
How much thickness does the Portenzo case add to the iPad? Compared to the DODOcase? And the Apple iPad Case?

I really do now want that much thickness added to my iPad.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
How much thickness does the Portenzo case add to the iPad? Compared to the DODOcase? And the Apple iPad Case?

I really do now want that much thickness added to my iPad.

They are both about double the thickness of the iPad alone. The Apple case is among the slimmest full-cover cases you'll find, and is probably slightly more than 1/2 the thickness of the Dodo/Portenzo.

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
How much thickness does the Portenzo case add to the iPad? Compared to the DODOcase? And the Apple iPad Case? I really do now want that much thickness added to my iPad.

Dodocase/Portenzo: a lot.

Apple case: hardly any.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I wish to amend my statement. I happen to have two iPad's here - 1 in a Dodo and 1 in the Apple case. I went to take a picture of the difference, and they look exactly the same in the photo. The Dodo is very slightly thicker, but much, much closer than I thought - perhaps by the thickness of the Dodo's top cover - that is, 1-2mm.

The Apple case, because it keeps the tapered iPad form factor, seems slimmer, but in actuality, they are almost the same.

SimonBS

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2009
Thanks for the replies. Now I'm tempted to go for the DODOcase or Portenzo. It's a hard decision to change from the Apple case :)

kds786

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
Tennessee
This thread has made my decision for me! I was set on buying a dodo case, but now I'm definitely going for the Portenzo. I love the look of it, and it seems that it is getting great reviews here! Going to place my order in a few minutes!

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
This thread has made my decision for me! I was set on buying a dodo case, but now I'm definitely going for the Portenzo. I love the look of it, and it seems that it is getting great reviews here! Going to place my order in a few minutes!

Hi! I also have one of each. i use it a lot unless I want a really stable landscape mode, like on an airplane tray table.

Not sure if you have seen the Alano version, kind of hard to find the link:
https://shop.portenzo.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=iPad Alano

Have fun!

kds786

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
Tennessee

RichardMZhlubb

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2010
Washington, DC
After dumping my Dodocase because the corners kept coming loose, and then dumping my Portenzo case because I hated the fact that the cover was so loose, I bought a Yoobao slim case, which I love.

However, my wife has now tried both of my discarded cases for the new iPad I bought her for Christmas and she definitely prefers the Dodocase (now that I've superglued the corners).

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
FYI, Dodo will send you new corners with a new adhesive that so far appear to be sticking permanently.

PieMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2002
I have owned a DoDocase (sold it-got tired of constantly replacing corner pads), then I got a Portenzo composition case-very well made but I have noticed the spine becoming more loose with use...no problems with corners but it's difficult should you want to remove your iPad-they work almost too good.

I decided to give DODOcase another go and it arrived with numerous issues-cracked or split bamboo and the cover would not fold back around. DODOcase finally got around to refunding my money for the case and shipping, but the experience certainly didn't instill any further confidence in their product.

I got a good price on the Jack Spade folio case that Apple sells on EBay-nice case, well made as you would expect, and that is what I'm currently using...I switch back and forth with the Portenzo.

greenoctopus

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2011
Want to get a custom Portenzo

Hello,

Does anyone know if Darin from Portenzo is responding to emails? I've been trying to get a hold of him the last 32 hours but with no luck. I was reading that he answers email pretty quickly.

I bought a Portenzo case but then i read this thread and want to upgrade my case to a nicer skin. Hopefully Darin will be able to respond to my email so I can find out what custom options I can get.

Anyone know if there is a customer support number I can call instead of waiting for Darin to respond to email?

Would love to get the case soon as I need to travel.

Bob

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2007
I received a portenzo case for christmas and love it. Unfortunately the bamboo had a huge chunk missing out of the top corner. I contacted portenzo for a replacement. Their first response was within 24 hours. But I haven't heard back since the 30th even after sending multiple follow up emails. Starting to get pretty upset with the lack of service. I can understand a few days delay around the new year holiday, but it's been nearly two weeks!

Portenzo!

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2010
Hello all! (shipping, emails, stickers, and stiff spines)

Hi guys (and gals!), I do apologize for the delay in responding to some emails. We expected sales to drop off after the Holiday season, and, well, that did not happen. So, we were caught a little off guard with the continued volume. (if you emailed and did not get a response in several days, then please re-send)

I will do my best to respond to all emails within 24 hours or less.

Shipping times are slipping a bit, but we are catching up.

If you like the stiffer spine that stays more upright for typing angles, your in luck. Our newest model now has a much stiffer spine when opened all the way. (no need to request it, all currently shipping cases are this model.)

Ohh, and the Portenzo ID sticker on the inside of the case cover is easily removable if you don't want it. It won't leave a residue or mark. The second sticker in the package is not a mistake, we include an extra, just in case you want to re-write it, or give the case away later...

Thanks again, and super thanks for your patience!

Darin, Nicole, Kris, & Team Portenzo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.