Portenzo vs. Treegloo Ipad 2 Cases

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by tfskora, Apr 12, 2011.

1. macrumors member

I just got my Treegloo case and have had my Portenzo case for a couple weeks. I ordered the Portenzo first but then they were taking forever to fill orders so I ordered a Treegloo. Portenzo shipped first so I decided to keep both. I posted my review over in the long Portenzo thread a while ago for the Portenzo. This is a comparison of the two.

I like posting pictures, so i'll do that and talk a bit about it.

[​IMG]

The Treegloo is a bit bigger than the Portenzo. Portenzo is on the left, Treegloo on the right.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Treegloo feels thicker than the Portenzo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Treegloo

[​IMG]
    The corners on the Portenzo are much better looking, much more curved. Portenzo left, Treegloo right.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The strap on the Portenzo is much tighter than the Treegloo, I don't think the Treegloo strap holds it down enough.

[​IMG]
    The Treegloo is very loose at many points, especially on the bend, it stays like this while sitting on the table. You can move the front cover back and forth very easily. It's very hard to do on a Portenzo.

The Portenzo is stays in this position all the time.
    [​IMG]

Both of them work very well as a smart case.

Overall I think the Portenzo is made with a lot more care and it feels much better.

The Treegloo just feels cheaper with the square corners and the cover feels more patted than the Portenzo. It was cheaper than the Portenzo, so I guess that's fair. It also feels heavier than the Portenzo.

One big issue with the Treegloo is that the iPad 2 doesn't stay in very well. If turned upside down it comes right out. I followed their instruction for putting it in the case, but it still not very sturdy. The Portenzo stays on very well when turned upside down and it's very easy to remove (once Portenzo sent me the correct way to remove it. Just push the back of the case and it comes right out). I would make a video, but I don't have a good camera and tripod.

Treegloo has been known for much better customer service than the Portenzo team in the past couple of weeks. Portenzo has had a lot of issues with not responding to customers right away or ever. Treegloo responds right away.

I had a dodocase for my iPad 1 and enjoyed it. I rate them Portenzo first, dodocase second, and Treegloo third. It's not a fair comparison since I don't have the dodocase for iPad 2.

Edit: I realize I typed Ipad in the title, I wish I could edit it to iPad. I know it doesn't really matter, but I hate making dumb errors. I'm sure there's more than one in this post.

2. macrumors member

Thanks for the review and great pics. Definitely makes me feel better about my decision to go with Portenzo. I almost ordered a TreeGloo, up to the point of clicking the order button. But I kept coming back to Portenzo due to the better craftmanship.

3. macrumors regular

Good write up!

It's interesting that the Treegloo is larger.

4. macrumors 68030

Thanks - this is a great, fair, review. It will only serve to make the companies better as they go forward.

5. macrumors 6502

Thanks for the write up. I am looking forward to ordering a portenzo soon. Do they charge your card when you order or when it ships?

6. thread starter macrumors member

charge when shipped when use a credit card. i think if you use paypal they take it out right away.

7. macrumors 6502

blueridge

Nice review.. i just got my portenzos today.. i got the pad and quill last week.. so i did the same as you.. compared each.. i will post my findings tomorrow.. but the portenzo is much smaller then the octavo from p&q.. but there are things i like about the octavo compared to the portenzo and vice versa.. so good to see another comparison.. i should have a treegloo by the end of the week.. white one.. to compare to my wife's 23.5

8. thread starter macrumors member

Please post the P&Q comparison, would love to see that.

9. macrumors 6502

benjayman2

Thanks for the review. I went through the same process as you coincidentally: ordering the portenzo, worrying, then ordering the treegloo. I received my portenzo order much earlier then I expected and still have not received my treegloo yet. With that said I told them to hold off on finishing my order until I saw their new latch design, which I immediately told them to add. I'm thoroughly satisfied my portenzo case, but still hold a bit of excitement for how my custom treegloo will turn out.

10. macrumors newbie

bullnz

Fast, Good, and Cheap...

...pick any two (or one if you want a Portenzo!)

Thanks for taking the time to do these side by sides, can't wait to see how the P&Q stacks up to these - right in the middle I would imagine.

11. macrumors 6502a

Xultar

12. thread starter macrumors member

I did mean to talk about this on my review. I think they both sound pretty good. The Portenzo sounds a bit lower than the Treegloo, but overall I don't think there's too much of a difference.

13. thread starter macrumors member

I just noticed the back of the Treegloo while opened. Look at the difference between the Portenzo and the Treegloo. The Portenzo is the closest one. It's made with so much more detail.

[​IMG]

14. macrumors newbie

Ugh damn I totally regret my order now.. Even tho I went with cloth lining and red frame accents.. I hope the quailty is better, But I feel like everyone who has posted their treegloo's have had completely different builds and quality front the next... So now I don't know what to expect

I ended up paying $80 plus for a customized faux leather mystery case!

15. macrumors regular

That's good to hear - btw, it looks like the treegloo you ordered has a paper backing, while the portenza is cloth?

Might explain the softness of the spine.

16. macrumors 68000

Great review. I actually returned my Pad & Quill and I posted pics of both.

One thing I did not mention was that the Portenzo folds back WAY easier than the Octavo. I felt as though folding back the Octavo's cover would break it or cause a crease. Portenzo's spine is such that it is much easier to fold back in typing position.

Corners and overall sanding of the wood between Portenzo and P&Q was not even a comparison - Portenzo won hands down.

This site also had a few pics and reviews of both:

http://stockbox.blogspot.com/2011/04/quest-for-great-looking-ipad-2-case.html

http://stockbox.blogspot.com/2011/04/my-ipad-2-quest-for-case-has-ended.html

17. macrumors 6502

D'oh!
    That's a shame about the build quality differences. I'm awaiting the arrival of my Treegloo.
    Though in the end, I ended up saving $20 over the Portenzo with the magnetic latch and at least got to chose my outer color and have a suede accent on the wood. Hopefully mine will be a little better around the spine than yours- that little bit of give on the closed Treegloo will probably prove troublesome for a magnetic latch.

18. thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, It is cloth on the portenzo and paper on the treegloo.

19. thread starter macrumors member

I was contacted by Treegloo and they told me the bend of the spine is not supposed to be like that and it seems like I have a defective case. They said they will ship a replacement at no charge.

This is what customer service is about, taking care of the customer and they really go out of their way to make sure everyone is happy.

They also used a padded faux leather cover, unlike Portenzo who doesn't pad it. I like the feel of the non padded better, but that's just personal preference. I'm going to keep them both and alternate on the case I use. Also, it will be good to keep a back up. When I had the DODOcase for my ipad 1, I dropped it and the frame cracked into pieces (kept the ipad safe).

Thanks Treegloo team!

20. macrumors 6502

benjayman2

Did they email you that offer without you mentioning it to them? Regardless, I'm not surprised, their CS is awesome.

21. thread starter macrumors member

Yup, they said they read the review I posted here and wanted to fix the issue.

22. macrumors 6502

benjayman2

I'm glad they're lurking. Keeps them on their toes. I'm trying to not bother them anymore about asking when mine will ship :p Updated my latch monday morning, which I heard would delay my shipping two days so hopefully I get a shipping notification today or tomorrow. I was upgraded to fedex 2 days for the first delay with camera hole so hopefully that holds true.

23. thread starter macrumors member

Portenzo also posts around here. They posted to my review on the long portenzo thread.

24. macrumors member

Sadly, I posted a reference to this forum on TreeGloo's Facebook page and despite just stating my opinion, it was responded to by TreeGloo with an offer to cancel my order. Thats their awesome customer service? I was impressed up until that point. And interestingly enough, they removed the post shortly thereafter. And I simply stated two things: that my Portenzo order would arrive before my TreeGloo order, which was a surprise to me, and that from reading this review, I was expecting to be happier with the Portenzo order. Their response was that the case in the review was defective and that they would cancel my order if I wish.

Now, what if that review had been done on engadget or Cnet or something? Do you think those editors would have been okay with getting a defective product and held back on their review? Im sorry, but the response I got was not one I expected nor one I would get from a company I would do business with. I am letting the order proceed, but only to compare both products myself as each individual iPad owner has different needs. However, mark my words, I am guessing my order gets delayed a third time and I dont see the case arrive for quite some time now. If this happens, you can expect to see a full review of this here. Hopefully, I will stand corrected with a quality TreeGloo product in hand.

25. macrumors 6502

benjayman2

Post have been removed on portenzo, p&q's, and treegloo's fb page when it puts them in a bad light. I'm more surprised that you are surprised. As for offering a cancellation, what did you expect from your dissatisfied post on their fb page?