Porting from Trillian to Adium

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Gary King, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Gary King macrumors 6502

Hello,

I currently use Trillian on Windows, and Adium on Mac.

What would be the best way to port over as much of my Trillian data as possible, over to Adium? What I want to try to keep is my MetaContacts and Groups, and user aliases, at least.

Has anyone successfully ported over their stuff?

Anyone care to share their experiences? I'm sure I'm not the only one who wishes to do this! :)

2. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

In trillian it is possible to save your buddy list.

Also, the data is stored on AIM servers.

3. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I didn't have to add or remove any contacts from my list, it was all there. Just click the Red Adium icon when starting Adium to see who isn't online (as well as who is).

4. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

i don't think adium supports metacontacts, so you're outta luck on that one i believe. i'm a firm believer in trillian, i don't like adium so much.

5. chameeeleon macrumors 6502

6. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

i stand corrected then

7. ColdFlame87 macrumors regular

since your still using the same sn wouldnt all the aliases and metacontacts remain the same when the sn is used in adium (since adium supports metacontacts and aliases), i heard all that is kept on the aim server. Am i correct in making this assumption?

8. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I have Adium you guys, I didn't have to add any contacts, it got them from the servers when I logged in. e.g. MSN, AIM, and Yahoo!. So it will work, it'll import all of your previous contacts, etc. You're good to go.

9. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

that's what everyone was telling you in the beginning. :-/

in fact i could've confirmed this, i use like 3 different machines and my buddylist stays the same no matter which one i'm on.

10. Gary King thread starter macrumors 6502

Of course the buddy list stays the same.

I am talking about metacontacts (which I can guarantee do not stay on the servers; they are Trillian-only features. Adium has it too, but it isn't the same format as Trillian.) Also, user aliases on MSN, ICQ for instance, do not stay on the server. So I would have to rename, like, 300 contacts. Which would really, really suck. Very sucky :(

11. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

yea, those are all built into the applications. so yea.. those won't be transferable. I personally dislike adium... it just feels weird. I don't like the interface at all.

12. Gary King thread starter macrumors 6502

So, what do you use on the Mac?

I dislike Trillian because it spikes to 100% CPU constantly. Go on their forums and you will see that I am not alone.