Porting Games to OS X

Discussion in 'Games' started by jamesrw, Dec 17, 2003.

1. jamesrw macrumors newbie

Dec 17, 2003
    I was thinking about porting games to mac and came up with this.

Many of you will have heard of Wine [http://www.winehq.com] for linux, which basically emulates the Windows API, to allow you to run *some* Windows applications.

It is possible to compile Wine for OS X no problem. The only problem then in terms of running Windows apps is the different processor architectures.

Then I found this nifty app called QEMU [http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/] which is basically an x86 processor emulator, and one of its goals is to support Wine.

I haven't yet had a chance to mess around with this but the potential is there for running many Windows games without them needing to be recompiled specifically for OS X, and Half-Life is proven to work very well in Wine (which I have done myself).

I will have a more in-depth look tomorrow as its 1:30am now ;) Does anyone else see this as a possibility or have I completely missed it :p
  2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    There is also an emulator called Bochs and there is a Mac version. I've tried it but didn't get too far.

The trouble is that the performance is going to be pitiful, at best, in contrast to a good source code port.

It's always better to emulate what's being used at the source level when changing processors.
  3. Legacy user macrumors newbie

May 21, 2003

If someone could perfect this, This would be a acceptable alternative for some of us lower end gamers. I don't want magic or monsters. Just realistic battle Napoleonic war scenarios. There are a few good ones on the PC side, Like the Cossack Series. The graphics and processor requirements are pretty low, so it might be ok as an emulator. I would also like to see some Napolonic Man o War naval strategy games on the Mac to recreate battles Like that of the recently released 'Master and Commander' film.
    It's a pity that these games aren't made for the Mac.
    You perfect it, and I'll buy it.