Porting Linux games to OSX

Discussion in 'Games' started by Earendil, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

Do we even need to port them? If we get the source code can we just compile them in X11?
    I haven't been in the programming world for 5 years, and haven't had the time to look into the programing aspects of OSX, X11, and Unix programs, but I would assume that we could recompile for OSX with ease, or else just emulate them somehow?

Any ideas? Thoughts? How-to's ?

Tyler
    Earendil

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Check fink first for a version of the game you want. Even if it's an older version, you can see the modifications they made to the source as a point of reference.

Most XWindows (X11R6) applications should be able to be compiled with minimal changes. 3d games and applications which use SDL and OpenAL may compile fine because there are versions for Mac OS X.

3. applekid macrumors 68020

Head over to iDevGames.com, join the forums, we'll help you out.

4. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

I'm not sure what Linux games in particular you would want to port. Anything which is not commercially released and closed source (like Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament 2004, obviously both on Mac OS X already) on Linux, is generally a simple 'freeware' type game. Please someone expose my tremendous ignorance of Linux gaming if I'm wrong...it's just that I spent 7 years running Linux as my day-in, day-out operating system before switching to Mac OS X, and I discovered nothing in the gaming area above and beyond about 5000 different Minesweeper, Solitaire and Tetris clones (OK, maybe TuxRacer, but I didn't like it).

Believe me, you've got a better selection of games on Mac OS X...and that's saying something.

5. Earendil thread starter macrumors 68000

Earendil

The game I'm looking to Port is NiL http://nil.sourceforge.net/
    Which is a port of the DOS game Liero. I'm not looking into mass porting of linux games, which is why I don't care that OSX have far more games atm :)
    I really want this game! :eek:
    It uses the SDL lib so Graphics wise it shouldn't be too hard...I hope.

I'll head over to iDevgames.com though and see what they think of everything...

Tyler
    Earendil