Portishead Return

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Jan 18, 2005.

1. iGav macrumors G3

Now I know this should be in the music... actually it's worthy of being in the news section :D but threads there don't seem to get the same coverage, and as I know there's lot's of Portishead fans on the boards, I think this deserves a bit of attention ;)

Portishead are doing their first gig in 7 years (I do believe I was at one of their last gigs ;)) next month in Brixton, London at a benefit gig for the Tsunami Fund.

London I hear you all sigh, well this gig is being webcast live, so if you've never had the (rare privilege) of seeing them live, this could well be the 2nd best thing. ;)

rinky dink link

Now if they'd just finish their 3rd album... :rolleyes:

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i spotted them on iTune Music store and just had to buy them classic tracks lol
    good to know they are still going i might just have to buy some tickets

3. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

Wow, and they're playing with Massive Attack no less. Too bad they're not touring.

4. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Are they working on a 3rd album? I've heard this rumor for years.....and there have been 2 supposed Portishead albums that were fake in the meantime. I'm glad to hear they are playing live.....but a Portishead Return would only be worthwhile if it involved a new album. They have made 2 AWESOME albums, but I've almost gotten to the point where I could care less and am forgetting about them.

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Even though I've got 'Dummy' I still haven't heard their first...

Dummy: outstanding. One of those rare albums that doesn't sound like it's got too many or too few songs... complete.

6. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Dummy is their debut album. ;)

Portishead was their second, then PNYC.

That's what Geoff and Beth have said... ;)

7. SuperChuck macrumors 6502

SuperChuck

First the Mac Mini, then a possible Portishead comeback?

2005 rocks.

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Oops, then it's 'Portishead' I haven't heard...

Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man (check my sad songs thread down the end)
    Still got my laminate... :D

9. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

I have... ;) you groupie. :eek: :p :p

10. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Yeah. Well at least they are still playing.

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I know... I even got to say 'hello' at the backstage bar but I was even more excited about meeting Rustin Man aka Paul Webb as I am the biggest Talk Talk fan ever...

*gush*

:D

12. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

straight from the horses mouth... ;)

13. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

sounds abit like me when I realised that the fella I was standing next to in the gents at a PWEI gig in '95 was Clint Mansell! :eek: :D

14. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    fantastic news. been a fan since the early days...my stepdad used to carpool with geoff barrow's uncle...how's that for random?? :p

15. VincentVega macrumors regular

Hooray! I've loved Portishead's music for years - got all three of their CDs.

Roll on the third album (and fourth CD).

Now, if the KLF would re-form, I'd be even more happy.

16. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

didn't they try an ill-fated comeback as "The 2K" with "F**k the Millenium" in '97 ???

I'd rather like to see the original Wild Bunch Soundsystem/Massive Attack lineup return... the last two albums were utter crap IMHO :p

vSpacken

17. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Most here have just mentioned 3 of the CD's by Portishead:
    Dummy
    Portishead
    &
    Portishead Live In NYC

For those interested there is also a DVD with the Live in NYC performance and their music videos.....and their is a 2-CD Remix/B-Side Release entitled 'Glory Times' which is awesome......check it out if you haven't.

18. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

Well, tickets go on sale Monday 24th Jan, 30GPB each from this terrible website: http://www.bristolticketshop.co.uk/

I'm going. I dont care if I have to press redail for 5 hours. Or miss my exam that day.

19. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....really really looking forward to this one - it has been far too long. I'll second the recommendation to have a look at the DVD....it's quite good....oh yeah!

20. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

I forgot about that one... ;) wasn't it a Japanese only release?? either way I've got all the songs off it, as I've got all the Portishead singles but I seem to recall it being hugely expensive on import :eek:

Another article on Portishead here

21. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

hmm the only song I know of theirs is "roads" which I really like for when I'm in a chill mood. how's the rest of their music compare?

22. brap macrumors 68000

Hmph... never been a fan of Portishead, although I have to say I never sat down and listened to an album, largely due to their status as "The awesome indie band NME love! (This week)".

If there are a couple of tracks you'd think I'd have to listen to fall in love, shout 'em here.

23. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

From 'Dummy'

Pedastal
    Biscuit

From 'Portishead'

Mourning Air
    Seven Months

From PNYC

Over
    Strangers

Misc

Sheared Times
    It's A Fire
    Theme From "To Kill A Dead Man"

24. neut macrumors 68000

neut

Watch your self ... don't **** with the Church of the KLF! Even Aphex likes them.

Have you heard Danny the Dog yet? And how could you not like the last MA album? Not a Sinead fan? ;)

Portishead live AND a new album??? WOO-HOO!

peace.

25. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I believe it was a Japanese only release. I've lived in the Indiana University Campus area for a long time though.....and we have lots of small independent music stores. One of these, TD's CD's & LP's had a great owner who loved music (would see him at every show I'd go to in Indiana) and would go out of his way to get anything and everything for someone. Unfortunatley he passed away (cancer) last spring. Someone took over the store but it's not quite the same now.
    Pretty exciting that Portishead will have a new album soon. Curious as to how it will sound as they are a band who pushes the envelope.
    On another note it is rumored that Mazzy Star will be releasing a DVD/CD Anthology this year and may tour to support it:)