Poseidon

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AlBDamned, Jun 3, 2006.

1. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Just saw Poseidon at the London IMAX cinema at Waterloo, London.

It won't win any oscars but a pretty enjoyable as a 90 minute blast. Some of the scripting is incredibly, ridiculously bad that it's difficult to imagine it being any worse, the acting is pretty lowly (bad even for Kurt Russell!) but the big wave bit and plenty of tension, not to mention giving most of the audience an everlasting fear of cruise ships, rescued it, just.

The one thing I have to say though –*this was my first visit to an IMAX cinema and it was superb. That's definitely the way to see a movie. Massive screen, amazing sound, plenty of space to sit. Can't wait to see IMAX Superman Returns in 3D!

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

it was not good.. if i had know it was going to be like how it was, i would not even gone.

3. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

I wouldn't have gone to see it a regular cinema but they show proper films so infrequently at the IMAX it was worth it.

4. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

It was quite the waste of time. Nothing could have rescued that repetitive movie.

5. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

An attempt at repeating (The Poseidon Adventure: 1972) was pretty brave. My wife and I saw it last week and were pleasantly surprised at a well paced, believable rendering. Obviously, it's not oscar stuff, but I thought it was good entertainment.

6. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

7. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

I saw Poseidon the day before it came out (staff preview) and I thought it was rubbish!

They try to get you thinking the the Poseidon is this mighty boat in the begininning of the movie by playing music and panning around the ship exterior but it doesn't work. The wave hits too early. Why, in the end is their a raft convieniently situated right outside where they escape?

I would not recommend it.

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I was going to go see Titanic when it came out a few years ago, but somebody told me the ship sinks, which of course spoiled the story for me. So I skipped it.

I was going to see Poseidon last month, but the same thing happened.

Don't you hate it when people spoil the ending like that? ;)

Maybe I'll rent A Perfect Storm tonite.

9. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Uh, the ship sinks. ;) :D Sorry... I couldn't help myself.

10. Shamus macrumors 6502a

Shamus

Oh, the cruelty. :p

11. CompUser Guest

I am just curious how they made it out of the boat. Drill through the hull of the boat? That shouldn't be too hard.

12. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

My guess is that it was more complicated than that. Maybe they were worried about drilling a hole in part of the boat that was already underwater. In that case, the water would just start gushing in and they'd never get through it under the pressure equalized between outside and inside and who knows if they'd be able to hold their breath for that long. Just a guess....

And I refuse to see the movie. Just looks bad.