Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
So I was thinking today about the lack of apps and widgets (like the ones from the iPhone) on the iPod touch. I am thinking that Apple might make some/all of these available for purchase on iTunes. Maybe for $2 or $5.

Does anyone else think that this is likely/might be possible?

JohnEZ

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2005
Of course it's possible. I thought that's what Apple was going to do from the get-go.

homeboy

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2007
London
That is very possible and will likely happen. The whole point with OS X is ability to easily add new applications/widgets. Just like Apple is selling games, I could easily see them selling word processing application, memory games and similar for 4.99.

It's coming, trust me.

FunkyMonkey

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
Right behind you
I am thinking that Apple might make some/all of these apps available for purchase on iTunes. Maybe for $2 or $5.

If that happens, Apple will be considered a genious 'cause everyone would want those apps.

Wow. Apple is smart.

EDIT: Apple is really smart.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
So I was thinking today about the lack of apps (like the ones from the iPhone) on the iPod touch. I am thinking that Apple might make some/all of these apps available for purchase on iTunes. Maybe for $2 or $5.

Good thinking... You should get a job with Apple Marketing.

Very possible...

I would easily pay $20 for iChat.

Edit: Anyone think that maybe they were saving some of the iPod Touch apps for the Leopard release? Like when Leopard comes out the iPod will get some new apps.

Leopard is getting a new Mail... Maybe the iPod will too.

If you look at the pic of the iPod it is running OSX Leopard "lite"

See the dock... It is a leopard dock.

gallery-big-01.jpg

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA

Very possible...

Edit: Anyone think that maybe they were saving some of the iPod Touch apps for the Leopard release? Like when Leopard comes out the iPod will get some new apps.
haha. As much as I would like to work on the Infinite Loop, I don't think that's gonna happen (but if some Apple worker reads my idea and uses it, they can send me some free stuff).

Making those apps available for purchase would be pure profit saying that Apple gets ALL of the money. And most people would want some if not all of the apps.

As to the release of 10.5, I really doubt that it's going to effect the OS X Lite devices. That dock is likely just an addition for eyecandy. With the touch shipping on 28/9 and Leopard coming less than a month later, they would either include the apps at launch or not. It would be a bad move to put them in three weeks later (aka lots of returns to deal with).

rbroady

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007

Very possible...

If you look at the pic of the iPod it is running OSX Leopard "lite"

gallery-big-01.jpg

I think remote access to your home itunes over wi-fi will be comming with leopard. The ability to sync music on the "go"(considering as long as you have wi-fi) would be friggin awesome...it would relieve some of my pain that there is no HDD based touch. becouse you virtually would have all your music with you on the go.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
As to the release of 10.5, I really doubt that it's going to effect the OS X Lite devices. That dock is likely just an addition for eyecandy. With the touch shipping on 28/9 and Leopard coming less than a month later, they would either include the apps at launch or not. It would be a bad move to put them in three weeks later (aka lots of returns to deal with).

Well I am saying maybe they will add apps when leopard releases for free. Just an update through iTunes.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
Well I am saying maybe they will add apps when leopard releases for free. Just an update through iTunes.
Oh, I see what you mean. But I still don't think that Leopard will affect the mobile devices as standalones. But together, maybe streaming files. I still think that having the apps for sale on iTunes is more likely.

But only time will tell.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Oh, I see what you mean. But I still don't think that Leopard will affect the mobile devices as standalones. But together, maybe streaming files. I still think that having the apps for sale on iTunes is more likely.

But only time will tell.

Just wishful thinking on my part ;)

But honestly I would have no problem paying $5 for additional apps.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
Just wishful thinking on my part ;)

But honestly I would have no problem paying $5 for additional apps.
Oh, you know that we're all hoping for everything under the sun... Then we'll be disappointed when the device rolls out with everything under the sun minus one.

And would you pay $5 for the widgets like stocks and weather? Just wondering how those might be priced...

jacktiernan

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
Vic, Australia
Would I Pay?

And would you pay $5 for the widgets like stocks and weather? Just wondering how those might be priced...

If the app/widget was something i felt i as going to use at least once week, then yeah, i think $5 would be fine, in my eyes.

I mean, if they were 5-10 dollars each, then to fill the blanks in the home-screen with stuff i want would only cost me $25-$50.

Thats my 2 cents :)

Pathfinder55

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2007

I would to and very good point.

EricBrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2005
And Apple will be the only one selling these apps? Hmmm.... can somebody say antitrust?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.