Possible 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Rear Shell Showcased in New Video

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 1, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A video showcasing what is claimed to be the rear shell of the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 was published today by Nowhereelse.fr. While component leaks have been abundant for the 4.7-inch version, this is one of only a few leaks for the 5.5-inch iPhone, which is rumored to be entering production in September. The site's sources also claim Apple has selected "iPhone Air" as the name for this larger iPhone version.

[​IMG]
    The metal frame in this latest leak is similar in appearance to a rear shell that appeared last month. Both shells have thick antenna breaks, a rounded opening for an updated True Tone flash, a cutout for the Apple logo, a space for elongated volume buttons and a side mounted power button.

Apple is expected to unveil the iPhone 6 at an event scheduled for September 9th at the Flint Center for the Performing Arts in Cupertino, California. While it most certainly is an iPhone event, it is not known whether the company will announce both the 4.7-inch and the 5.5-inch models at this time.

If Apple introduces the 5.5-inch model on September 9th, the company may stagger the retail sales of the two phones, offering the 4.7-inch model sometime in September and waiting to ship the 5.5-inch version until the end of the year due to production issues.

Article Link: Possible 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Rear Shell Showcased in New Video

2. macrumors 6502a

Looks good :)

3. macrumors 65816

There is no 5.5" iPhone.

4. macrumors 68030

iPhone Air cause my battery died and thats all I can get.

did they not think of the possible jokes from rivals?

5. macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

One week from tomorrow all questions shall be answered. Can't wait.

6. macrumors newbie

Why there is one flash light?

7. macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Same here. It's so close that I could go without any more iPhone rumors until next Tuesday.

8. macrumors 65816

JaySoul

Do snails get excited about these leaks of rear shells?

9. macrumors newbie

I'm convinced its a man with very small hands..

10. macrumors member

Same shape rear shell keeps showing up again and again. Seems like the shell might be the 'leakiest' part on new Apple hardware.

My theory: I think they give detailed specs and/or mockup parts to case and accessory manufacturers in advance. Since accessory makers far outnumber the companies involved with actually manufacturing the phone, we see more shell leaks than anything else.

11. macrumors 65816

japanime

iPhone Air. It's thinner. It's lighter. It's unapologetically short on battery life.

12. macrumors newbie

not long to go now....I think they will launch this size though...got that feeling :)

13. macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

Dual tone in a single light. See earlier part leak.

14. macrumors member

iPhone Air and iPad Air is really confusing naming when it's the bigger model.

15. macrumors 68000

Aluminum213

But but but but 5.5" doesn't exist

16. macrumors newbie

haha

People complaining about "those bands" in 3, 2, 1 :rolleyes:

17. macrumors 68030

Keep saying that. Chances are good no one will remember you said it and mock you with it for the rest of your life. ;)

18. macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

With the iPad Air being the larger iPad and now this reported 'iPhone Air' being the largest iPhone ever, the 'Air' moniker may now be associated with 'large'.

Kind of weird since it initially was associated with low weight and portability. The MacBook line is also doing the opposite, with the MBA being (on average) smaller than MBPs.

19. macrumors newbie

I really don't mind the bands on the silver colour.....and I'm sure in the space grey it will look even more subtle.....you know apple wouldn't sign of on something everyone thought was ugly...but its true you can't please everyone. But i think a lot of people will grow to like them or when they see the polished product and actually get it in there hands they will feel less strongly about it :)

20. macrumors 6502a

igazza

The bands are nice #

21. macrumors newbie

Really? Go enjoy Labor Day and come back and watch the video again. These screw holes match up, the dimensions against the backdrop of the ruler are spot on. This is not a fake.

22. macrumors newbie

I do agree :)

23. macrumors 65816

Locoboof

These next 8 days are going to go by so slow...

24. macrumors 65816

It was a joke.

25. macrumors newbie

I know every single day I'm like why can't it come quicker....For us though its like xmas day when we were younger. I love it! So at least we get that xmas build up feeling lol