Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thendis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2004
Hello,

I'm very new at networking, and don't fully understand what Airport does. All I know is I bought a Netgear Wireless Ethernet DSL modem/router and asked my local Apple retailer what I need for my mac to use broadband internet using this modem. He told me to buy an Airport Extreme Card for my eMac G4 800.

I haven't installed it yet, because I have noticed everything I have read on Airport cards only seems to assume you have an Airport Base STation, which i don't have.

Can you use an airport card with a 3rd party wireless Modem, or should I get my money back?

Thanx!
Thendis

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
Your Airport Extreme card should be able to connect to your NetGear Wireless Modem/Router. The only thing you might want to take note is that if your wireless router network is 802.11g or 802.11b. The difference is only the connection speed. The g version can supports up to 54Mbps but the b version is only up 11Mbps.

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
I agree with the guy above - it should be fine. The Mac Airport wireless products are compatible with pretty much any wireless hardware because they all use the same standards. Go ahead and install it!

thendis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2004
thanks for the replies. have installed and is working fine. VERY impressed with how easy it was. Everything seemed to instantly see eachother. :)

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
thendis said:
thanks for the replies. have installed and is working fine. VERY impressed with how easy it was. Everything seemed to instantly see eachother. :)

heh, ah the joys of being a mac owner. its just easy! m$ users spend sooo much money and time trying to get their computers/networks to work. if this 'easy' computing ever cought on, just imagine what could happen to the computer market

thendis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2004
agreed wPod. I only recently switched to Macs from PCs. I orignially only bought one for a couple of graphic design apps and intended to keep the PC for most other things, but i was so impressed with the Mac I haven't used a PC in months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.