Possible? (Airport card with Netgear wireless DSL modem?)

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by thendis, Sep 16, 2004.

1. thendis macrumors newbie

Jan 17, 2004

I'm very new at networking, and don't fully understand what Airport does. All I know is I bought a Netgear Wireless Ethernet DSL modem/router and asked my local Apple retailer what I need for my mac to use broadband internet using this modem. He told me to buy an Airport Extreme Card for my eMac G4 800.

I haven't installed it yet, because I have noticed everything I have read on Airport cards only seems to assume you have an Airport Base STation, which i don't have.

Can you use an airport card with a 3rd party wireless Modem, or should I get my money back?

2. angelneo macrumors 68000

Jun 13, 2004
    Your Airport Extreme card should be able to connect to your NetGear Wireless Modem/Router. The only thing you might want to take note is that if your wireless router network is 802.11g or 802.11b. The difference is only the connection speed. The g version can supports up to 54Mbps but the b version is only up 11Mbps.
  3. Gee macrumors 65816

Feb 27, 2004
    London, UK
    I agree with the guy above - it should be fine. The Mac Airport wireless products are compatible with pretty much any wireless hardware because they all use the same standards. Go ahead and install it!
  4. thendis thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 17, 2004
    thanks for the replies. have installed and is working fine. VERY impressed with how easy it was. Everything seemed to instantly see eachother. :)
  5. wPod macrumors 68000

Aug 19, 2003
    Denver, CO
    heh, ah the joys of being a mac owner. its just easy! m$ users spend sooo much money and time trying to get their computers/networks to work. if this 'easy' computing ever cought on, just imagine what could happen to the computer market
  6. thendis thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 17, 2004
    agreed wPod. I only recently switched to Macs from PCs. I orignially only bought one for a couple of graphic design apps and intended to keep the PC for most other things, but i was so impressed with the Mac I haven't used a PC in months.