Possible Apple Graphics Cards

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by DavPeanut, Jun 25, 2002.

1. DavPeanut macrumors 6502

If anyone watches stocks, they may have noticed that nVidia has been making 52 week lows consistantly for the last few days. Why cant apple just buy up nvidia? Apple could make there own graphics cards, and drive the peecee world nuts.

Any ideas?

2. DavPeanut thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone know about tthe GeForce 5

anyone know if the geforce five will come out soon

3. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

NVIDIA would be a very very expensive company for apple to buy...

in addition, NVIDIA is also very rooted in PC stuff, so i dont think they would risk selling it to Apple because they would get a bad reputation -- PC guys wouldnt appreciate tyhe fact that NVIDIA is owned by apple.

also, NVIDIA is a very big company -- in contrast, apple has pretty much only smaller companies wihtout toooo much infastructure, so to speak, whihc NVIDIA has a lot of.

4. DaveGee macrumors 6502a

Today, Apple has a market cap of over 6 billion dollars (with apx 4B in CASH) while nVidia has a market cap of 3.2B but that's only PART of the story...

You have to rewind 6 short months to get the rest... In January nVidia hit it's 52 week high of 72.66 and then the bad reports started to hit.. Missing earning and issues with Microsoft (over xBox) plus the latest ATI stuff looking 'better' than the latest nVidia stuff have all contributed to the company stock nose-dive (plus other things I'm sure but since I don't really follow the video card sector at all... I'm not one to say.) anyway they are now trading at $23 or less than 1/3 of what they once were just 6 short months ago (translation company market cap is 66% less than it was in Jan 2002).

If you just look at 'todays numbers', sure Apple could buy them up with the cash they have in the bank... But, Apple is in no position to even come close to buying nVidia since the nVidia stockholders would never go for a buyout without a pretty big premium over todays share price (like say a total of a $40 per share offer as minimum maybe even more) 6 months is a short time to loose that much value and nVidia has bounced back before so many are 'into the stock' for much more than the 23 it's selling for now (thus the demand for a premium) and Apple could never swing that. Now if nVidia were to stay at these low levels for a year or so OR continue to drop in price for the next 6 months+ maybe then Apple could snap them up... But then you'd have to ask yourself are they still worth buying...

I myself would rather see Apple continue to buy companies that haven't yet hit the 'radar screen' as they have been doing quite a bit of these days. Buy em before they get bigger and use them to help Apple get bigger... It's not as easy as it sounds but I have a feeling some of Apples latest buyouts will be showing us some benefit sooner rather than later... (Not like that Raycer buyout that is STILL bugging me!) One from last year? Two years ago?? Gave us iDVD and another (also two years ago?) gave us FinalCut Pro both really good things for Apple... The deals they have been doing as of late are in a different catagory... Super high end stuff than screams for speed... All I can say is Apple had better have something to feed that kinda software.

D

5. King Cobra macrumors 603

You may want to take a look at this forum thread.

6. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Re: Anyone know about tthe GeForce 5

late 4th quarter, if i remember. but wont be called the geforce 5. that im sure of (official nvidia statement) according to a mag i read which i cannot remember tha name of. i think maximum pc.

7. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

dave, do u work for a stock company??

8. billiam0878 macrumors 6502

I don't know about buying NVIDIA, but if Apple offered the PowerMacs with a ATI 8500 for the base models and a GeForce 4 Ti for the high end model I'd be happy enough. ;)

Bill

9. DavPeanut thread starter macrumors 6502

10. gazelips macrumors newbie

It seems to me Apple should concentrate on providing a viable market for both ATI and nVidia by increasing Apple's own market share. If Apple bought either of those companies, they would most likely stop making PC cards and make only cards for Macs. Why would any other company want to make cards for the Mac at that point. Granted, we would hopefully have kick-ass cards from the new in-house division, but I would think some healthy competition from vendors is good. And the way we see competition is to provide a market worth competing for.

11. Choppaface macrumors 65816

if apples came with only nVidias, it would drive photographers nuts!

I just hooked up my PC (w/ GF4) to my lacie to work on a file created on my mac (w/ ATI radeon) and I can see that blue tint and the weaker reds that I've heard many talk about