Possible Broken iPod

Discussion in 'iPod' started by psycoswimmer, Oct 9, 2006.

1. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Hi. Last night as I was listening to music on my iPod through my iHome, my music suddenly stopped. I went over and took the iPod out the "dock" and it was completely frozen. I did the hold toggle, and then the menu+select for 6 seconds to restart it. That worked, but then I got an apple logo and then sad iPod face with no backlight. I tried to turn it on again, and I got these weird noises that sounded like soft fireworks (tick tick, weeeew). I've only had this iPod for 1 1/2 years and I'm definitly not ready to buy a new one. I am under Apple Care warranty for a year more and I have an apple store 30 min away from me. I just want to see if anyone can help me before I set out to the store.
    The iPod is in great condition and I've never had a problem with it before.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Bad news I'm afraid.

Sad iPod = dead iPod.

You should breathe a healthy sigh of relief because you bought the extended warranty. If you hadn't you'd be out of pocket big time, that 3 year warranty just paid for itself.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Sad Ipod does not always mean dead iPod (mine was sad last week, but I'm listening to it now).

Use the force reset that you used before then access the diagnostic menu. Force the iPod into disk mode and do a full format from your Mac. If that works restore and it will probably work. If it doesn't it's dead.

4. psycoswimmer thread starter macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

First, I have a PC :eek: not a Mac. (I'm saving up for one, which is why I can't buy a new iPod. :D)

Could you kindly take me step by step through that (in one post, though). I don't know how to put it in diognostic mode or anything. And I already tried to connect it to the computer, but it just gives me the sad face. :(

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

What sort of iPod (paying very specific attention to the generation) is it. Each has a different method of accessing diagnostic mode and different menu items once in diagnostic mode.

This Apple Support Article tells you how to force any modern iPod into disk mode. Once there you need to reformat it. As you are on a PC you are on your own there!

If the iPod cannot be forced into disk mode you need to take it to Apple as the drive is dead.

6. psycoswimmer thread starter macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Thanks for the article on disk mode. :)

Okay. I have a iPod Photo 30 gb. I'm positive its 4th generation. I've been told that you put my type of iPod into diognostic mode by holding back and select, but what is the back button?

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You can skip diagnostic mode and go straight to disk mode by using menu/select for 6 seconds then menu/play. Back is the rewind button (with the two arrows pointing left).

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Back, rewind, the button on the left of the click wheel, the button with the arrows that point to opposite direction to the one on the play button. It's all the same.

Menu​
    Back | Select | Forward
    Play/Pause​

9. psycoswimmer thread starter macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Thanks. Sorry for that. :D

Ok I'm going to try the steps posted earlier and once I'm done I'll post back here.

Thanks for all the help guys. :)

10. psycoswimmer thread starter macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Okay. I can't force my iPod into disk mode so I guess a trip to the Apple Store is planned sometime soon.

Thanks again for all your help.

- Matt

11. psycoswimmer thread starter macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Just an update...

I brought in the iPod to the Apple Store today and after just a 20 min wait for the Genius Bar (which was fine as I was having fun on a 30" Mac Pro and checking out the new iPods :D) they gave me a new one, all shiny and stuff. :p Also, I guess my old click wheel was going because the new one feels so much smoother.

So thanks again for your help guys.

- Matt