Possible clue to ipod update...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by choppedsui, Feb 20, 2003.

1. choppedsui macrumors newbie

Feb 6, 2003
    Bloomington, IN
    Didn't see this posted so -- I just got this email from the apple store for a promotion of some free stuff when you purchase a 10GB ipod - not a 20GB. Interesting - it ends on march 14th. Is apple trying to get rid of the 10GB for an update? That would indicate that there is something different going on then the simple drop of the 5GB and the gain of the 40GB. Any ideas? They just keep us waiting...

Here is the text of the email:

The great thing about the 10GB iPod is all the terrific-sounding music (up to 2,000 songs*) it lets you carry with you everywhere?and of course the stylish way it lets you do it thanks to its compact size, great battery life, and stunning ease of use.

The great thing about the XtremeMac Get Connected Kit is everything it lets you plug your iPod into as you move around. There?s an iPod cassette adapter for your car stereo, Xwire Gold RCA and mini-plug cables for just about any stereo or portable speaker system with auxiliary-in jacks, and an iShare earbud splitter for when you want to share your music with the person next to you. To top it all off, a premium iPod car charger is included to keep your battery charged on the road. It sells regularly for $39.95, and it?s yours at no extra cost when you purchase a 10GB iPod for Mac ($399) online from the Apple Store by March 14, 2003. Order yours today.

Offer applies only to the purchase of a 10GB iPod for Mac made online through the Apple Store or over the phone at 1-800-MY-APPLE by
    March 14, 2003. To redeem offer, enter your claim code in the claim code box at checkout. Click here for more information on how to redeem this coupon. This coupon can be used only once. Terms and Conditions apply.

2. GrandShenlong macrumors member

Dec 26, 2002
    Sorta like a sex scene in a Lifetime Channel movie: suggestive, but not solid.

(inner Shenlong: that was a bad analogy)
  3. springscansing macrumors 6502a

Oct 13, 2002
    New York
    They actually call it the Xtreme Mac Get Connected Kit? Ah god...
  4. RLB macrumors member

Feb 4, 2003
    I just can't believe that they can keep saying that the 5gb ipod is temporarily unavailablie due to holiday demand through the middle of March. People won't even know what holiday they are talking about.
  5. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

Jan 5, 2003
    Maybe they are trying to get rid of the 10 GB, so then they can have a 20 GB, 30 GB, and 40 GB. This deal lasts until March 14. Do you think we'll have to wait that long for updates?
  6. iElvis macrumors member

Jan 30, 2003
    Wellington, New Zealand
    I think apple is just trying to get rid of the 10GB stock so they can update to the 20/30/40. Otherwise the deal would also be on the 20GB iPods too.

I just wish i had the money to buy one. Otherwise i would already have an iPod.
  7. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

Jul 25, 2002
    Prospect, KY
    I'd say so. Apple's probably trying to eliminate as many of the current models as they can. Since this promotion runs through March 14th, I would expect and update sometime around March 21st. They won't announce new products on the same day the promotion ends. Instead, they'll wait a week to let things settle.
  8. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

Jul 18, 2002
    buffalo ny
    i was just about to post this same info... i recieved a mysterious email from apple about the ipod sale... i totally think they are clearing out the tens now that the fives are gone and going with the 20 30 40 the tuesday after march 14 which is a friday... will the wait ever end????
  9. sparks9 macrumors 6502a

Jan 29, 2003
    If Apple was clearing their inventory they would make the offer available to windows podders too. I think this is nothing...
  10. choppedsui thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 6, 2003
    Bloomington, IN
    So it looks like this maybe more of a clue then I thought... with MacWhispers and LoopRumors both incorrectly predicting today as d-day. Why else would apple do a promo like this unless they are trying to get rid of stock before a product launch. I hear from some friends on campus that the 20GB has been hard to find for a while now, and I have also heard that the windoze ipods sell faster than the mac ones, so that may be why it is only valid for the 10gb mac pods. Anyway, I guess it comes down to me being sick of waiting for the intro of the new pods. I am slowly considering puchasing something else, but I will kick myself if the new pods end up being significantly different from the current ones, which I think they might be considering the fact that they are trying to empty their inventory. If they were not that different, they could have just lowered the prices on all current stock awhile ago, right? - sasso
  11. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

Jun 25, 2001
    Moneyapolis, Minnesota
    it just doesn't make sense to clear out all the 10s just yet...there are still people who really have no need for such large drives in an ipod and solely want to use it for music, which they don't have that much of either.

i would rather see them keep the 10 gigs and lower their price considerably