Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lubinh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
Hi All, I have a Thecus NAS box with 100's of DVDs and lots of music. I have a pc in every room with a tv or projector and each pc has media center with an add in from my movies to make it easy to view films, and manage what the children can watch based on their log in.

I really could do with updating a number of pc's, which is costly...so my questions are as follows:

if every room had apple tv, and no pc, would it be possible to use laptops / netbooks, with iTunes to watch a movie using apple tv?
how would I manage certain children being able to watch certain film ratings?
could i play the same movie on many tv's at the same time..same with music as I use airfoil to play music on all pc's at the same time?

obviously I would need 1 pc on running itunes, which is fine, and i like the idea of an ipad / iphone as a remote, but would they work with all of the media on a NAS box....my issue is that I have too much to sync to all of the pc's.

Thanks in advance...L:confused:

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
Hi All, I have a Thecus NAS box with 100's of DVDs and lots of music. I have a pc in every room with a tv or projector and each pc has media center with an add in from my movies to make it easy to view films, and manage what the children can watch based on their log in.

I really could do with updating a number of pc's, which is costly...so my questions are as follows:

if every room had apple tv, and no pc, would it be possible to use laptops / netbooks, with iTunes to watch a movie using apple tv?
could i play the same movie on many tv's at the same time..same with music as I use airfoil to play music on all pc's at the same time?

obviously I would need 1 pc on running itunes, which is fine, and i like the idea of an ipad / iphone as a remote, but would they work with all of the media on a NAS box....my issue is that I have too much to sync to all of the pc's.

I have multiple Apple TVs all connected to one iTunes library. Each one draws content individually from iTunes, so it is possible to watch a different movie or listen to different music on each one simultaneously.

Mine are all v1 ATVs, so they have the ability to store synced content on the HDDs, but my library of movies and music is massive (getting close to 1TB) so there is no way that they can store the whole thing. But, without the ability to buffer and/or hold synced content, I'm not sure what strain multiple ATVs will put on a network if they're all streaming at the same time.

The iPhone / iPad remote app is great!

Matty-p

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010

you could watch evry movie / listen to all music watch all photos ect from your nas if it has a itunes server or from a computer with itunes.and rent movies watch netflix , watch youtube pics from flicr on any tv in the house if every tv had a atv yes and only run one / no pc's and it would all be streame from there . hows your network infastrucure is it good enought for streaming hd content the new atv has networking wise a wifi chip that has b/g/n/ at both 2.4ghz and 5 ghz the n on 5ghz giving you 150 megabits per stream (atv) and 10/100 ethernet

Apple TV comes with parental controls. You can choose to restrict the following:
Internet
YouTube
Podcasts
Purchase and Rental
You can opt to Show, Hide, or be Asked whether or not that content should be viewed. You can choose the ratings for the country that you are in and you can restrict movies or tv shows according to the following choices:

Restict Movies: No Restrictions, G, PG, PG-13 or R
Restrict TV Shows: No Restrictions, TV-Y, TV-Y7, TV-G, TV-PG, TV-14
Explicit Music & Podcasts: Ask or Allow
Although I'm not a parent, it seems like Apple has covered all of the bases as far as protecting kids from inappropriate content.

iphone/ipad a s remote would be great cos you can start watching a movie on ios devive the click airplay and its on the atv and it works well as a remote

laptop wise i don't see why that wouln't work again youd have to set up either the nas or a pc as a itune sserver to stream it wirelessly to them without storing locally on laptop

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.