Possible cure for Skin Cancer

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mr. Anderson, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

2. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Wow, cancer is susceptible to the common cold. Who would've guessed?

Great find, D, and I hope it leads to some great advances in treatment during our lifetimes.

3. macrumors 601

zimv20

so, is injecting the virus somehow more effective than simply catching a cold? they state that once it's in the system, it'll find other melanoma cancer cells. i wonder if it matters how the virus is originally introduced.

4. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

That's crazy!

So I'm wondering if this can possibly even lead to a cure for the common cold?

5. thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

yeah, just reverse the process and inject cancerous cells into the cold....;)

Sorry, just had to.

But its got great potential - makes you wonder if the cold virus isn't actually something a lot more.

D

6. macrumors P6

wdlove

Thank you for the link Mr. Anderson, this is great news. With cell level research there is a lot of promising research. The key is to hit the cell itself.

7. macrumors regular

Who would have ever thought of injecting the cold virus into a cancerous cell. That is awesome.

8. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Very good article, thanks for the post Mr. Anderson. I have had a family member with this cancer. Melanoma's talk with each other if you will so it sounds as if this process is used to transmit it to those other melanoma's. This could be the tip of the iceberg in fighting other forms of cancer. Very cool:)

9. macrumors 601

zimv20

perhaps a mechanism nature provided to keep our immune systems in tune

10. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

haha...bad joke... :p

Even further though, the cold virus could be more basic than we think even, but just out of the realm of thought?

11. macrumors 68000

topicolo

My question is, how does the virus recognize the difference between melanoma cells and normal cells? After a certain point, cancer cells themselves are so different that killing them all off by identifying one difference becomes impossible.