Possible DeLay Indictment?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, Sep 27, 2005.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Link'd
    Guess we'll know in the next couple days. I'm surprised the grand jury expanded the charges, and I wonder if they did it specifically because DeLay enjoys protection from prosecution in his own district.

2. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

3. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

This is going to end up the same place the whole Karl Rove thing did: nowhere. Delay will be back as Majority Leader in a month or two.

4. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Don't be so sure. The trial probably won't be held for about a year. Until that time, DeLay is under indictment and cannot hold a leadership position in the House by the GOPs own rules.

5. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

That may be true, I wasn't sure of a timeline. But I stand by the point of my statement that this is all over nothing. He'll be back where he started when its all over.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

And you know this how, exactly?

BTW, the "Rove thing" is hardly over. I'd wait for the IG to decide when it's over.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

So you're saying what Rove did was ok because nothing came of it?

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Getting away with it is the new standard of ethics in this administration.

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

And to think, just a couple of years ago I was angry over a BJ. If only I'd known. I think BushCo need to get some.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Some, uh.... okay, I won't ask. :)

But seriously, when the Plame business broke, the president was very firm and clear in saying that nobody who was involved with revealing the identity of a CIA agent would remain in his administration. Later, when it became clear that at least one person was, the standard was lowered to "convicted." So my point is literally true -- if you're not caught, you haven't done anything wrong. And even if you are caught, the prosecution will be characterized as being politically motivated. It's a nice, tidy package of preemptive absolution from all wrong-doing.

A wonderful deal if you can get it.

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Its money laundering for the Republican Party but its done in a way thats legal in court. Then they sent out checks to those candidates that needed cash. This is how i read it. In the End i dont think anything will happen to Delay. Its just ment to get his partison butt out of the leadership for awhile. I wonder if he will get a speedy trial?

12. tristan macrumors 6502a

I can never keep the republican leadership straight... as soon as I learn all their names, someone gets indicted and I have to get used to someone else. :D Well, I'm sure he'll have a long career as a Fox News commentator.

13. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Gee, that would be terrible timing, wouldn't it? Tch tch tch. ;)

BTW, I read somewhere that the independent prosecutor is trying to wrap up his Rove investigation. So we should be hearing something before the end of the year.

Get your no-bid New Orleans reconstruction contracts now!! :D

14. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Nudge nudge, wink wink, saynomore. Yeah, that thought had occurred to me too.

Yeah I'm guessing the Plame investigation will wrap up this fall. Possible indictments for Rove and/or Libby. If that happens the legal fight will probably be gearing up around November as well.

And investigation into Frist will probably result in it's outcome in the next 9 months or so too...

If the Democrats can stop shooting themselves in the foot, the Congress is, if not ripe for the taking, at least within reach of reducing the margins to such that the GOP can't shove any legislation they want through Congress.

And if some kind of perfect storm occurs with all these indictments possible, it could be a complete takeover. 6 years too late though.

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Indeed, a common topic in a lot of the political blogs and columns I'm reading nowadays is...why the hell are the Democrats so inept at picking up the ball and running with it???

16. katchow macrumors 6502

A Delay indictment? I prefer the present sort :eek: