possible fraud from my sold/returned apple computers?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by logicpro7, Nov 21, 2006.

1. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

hi,
    just need a bit of advice from you apple technical guys here.

i sold 2 laptops recently via ebay,before i sent them i completed a total restore of osx (delete and restore) option.

i have just noticed some fraudalent transactions being made on my credit card over the last few days which has now been reported.
    do you think someone could have "restored" my details on one of those laptops? is it possible? even after a delete and restore option?

i also returned a faulty macpro to apple recently which i also used my bank details on but i also completed a delete and restore option before it was returned.

i have looked for evidence from elseware,but it looks like it is pointing more towards the info was retrieved from one of my laptops or the macpro.

thanks.:(

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Unless you zero out the disc or do a 7-pass erase, there are still sectors that contain data on the disc.

3. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Unless it was the buyer doing it on a whim, I find it unlikely that someone would bother going to the trouble of buying a laptop and hoping they could restore and that someone's details would be on there, when they can easily obtain details in quantity with the right connections with little effort.

4. iGary Guest

iGary

You'd be surprised.

5. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

You'd be surprised how easy it is to recover data from a HDD if you have the right software and tools.

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

That is so true.

Best to use the Disk Utility security erase option with the Zero Out Data option. Or better yet, use the 7 Pass Erase option.

7. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Maybe I am being naive - but what kind of "sensitive" financial info is at risk on a person's Mac?
    I keep things like account numbers etc memorised - or written down "in a safe place" using pen and paper ;) So surely my hard drive can be of no use to anyone?

If one does an online credit card transaction the details of the account are not stored on the computer… I would think the risk of the transmission being intercepted is far greater.

Just curious… :)

8. macjay macrumors 6502

You would need a 2nd computer and do this in target mode, is that right?

Thanks.

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

To do what?

If you are asking about using Disk Utility to erase the HD, then you could do it this way. You could use the install CD. Or you could boot from an external drive and do it from there.

10. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I'm wondering if your situation might be more related to Paypal, than to what you had on your system?

Is there any chance that they might have gotten access to your account information during the transaction?

11. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I highly doubt it came from your computer.

Do you use this credit card for anything else? Going out to eat for example? Servers are known to record CC numbers and either use them or sell them to identity thieves. People still dumpster dive for information - do you keep (or shred) all receipts and statements? Even a bad shred can be pieced back together...Have you bought from an online vendor whose information could have been compromised? Have you ever given CC information over the phone?

The possibilities are endless...Identity theft is a growing problem and the offenders are becoming more sophisticated.

12. macjay macrumors 6502

Can you do a 7-pass erase from an install CD?

13. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

yea

14. logicpro7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

im very careful about clicking on various links on the web,i always goto my paypal from my ebay account or direct to the paypal home page.

i know all about the nigerian scams,phishing,fake email scams etc,and am surprised i have still been caught by these thieves.

15. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

if you make online transactions, unless you're very diligent about removing cookies, etc., you might be leaving information on the computer that you're not even aware is on the computer

16. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

of course if you've used your credit card in a restaurant then there's a good chance the card was out of your sight while the transaction was rung up at the cash register.....and it's possible that somebody wrote down your card number and your name before the card was returned to you

unfortunately, there are lots of ways for somebody to get your information

17. logicpro7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

so is it possible to order stuff online without using the 3 digit security code on the cards strip?

for example credit card number and expiry date? and can the expiry date be guessed by trying various numbers?

im in the uk by the way.

18. logicpro7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i cant remember using it in a restaurant in the past.
    i should be able to piece things together when i find out a few more details,as tickets were purchased.

19. R.R.Mac macrumors regular

R.R.Mac

i would use the 35 times one, 'high sencitivity of protecting data'

Great for when (if) i sell my iBook G4

20. logicpro7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

looks like they managed to get my cv2 three digit security number somehow?

when you place any online order,does the ordering computers ip number get recorded?
    and is it possible for me to track where that ip address is/was?
    even though the cc company will refund me,I would like to find out who or how it was done.

21. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

You aren't going to find out who did it unless an offcial investigator tells you, which is unlikely. You aren't going to get their IPs and even if you could no ISP is going to give you any information.

22. logicpro7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

no,
    I was going to contact the online stores tell them my card
    was fraudulently used and if they could tell me what delivery address the they gave,and if they have a record of what ip address it was ordered from?

if not I will get a family member to ask,as they are in the police force.

23. clintob macrumors 6502

clintob

I second the PayPal notion. Despite all your better attempts, PayPal itself is highly vulnerable to fraud and theft. You might have done everything right, but in the end it's still a very flawed system that any hacker worth their weight can crack without much effort. I had my information stolen once as well, although they didn't make any fraudulent charges - only fraudulent eBay postings, etc.

Unfortunately, there aren't many other simple payment options on the web so you're stick with PayPal for most things. I've found that the best way to combat this problem is to consistently change your PayPal password. They recommend this as well if you talk to them. Apparently, there are a lot of scams that involve automated scanners repeatedly trying passwords on your account. They narrow down the choices over time until the break it, so if you change your password every couple of months you stand a better chance.

24. logicpro7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

:rolleyes:
    im not too sure on the paypal thing.
    i have just been into my account and changed the password,and checked my credit card details and it does not display the 3 digit security code which is what they would have needed to order from those online sites.