Possible Halo 2 Expansion pack

Discussion in 'Games' started by pgc6000, Mar 25, 2005.

1. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Very intresting stories here from Gamespot:
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/03/18/news_6120727.html
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/03/22/news_6120889.html
    Maybe we Halo fans will get a little treat. Obviously we will have to wait for Halo 3, so while we are waiting an expansion pack may be nice.

There was another intresting thing. I was watching an interview on G4 Tech TV. They were interviewing someone, lead production of Xbox 2 or something, and when they asked, "What about those hardcore Halo 2 players, what will they get?" and he ansered "We will have something for those Halo 2 players". So far, these rumors look pretty promising. :D

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Sweet! Being an impatient person, I will no doubt be buying the $19.99 CD (also, I don't pay for bits, and their comment about having an archive of the maps is a good one).

3. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

Yeah i'm gunna buy it too :cool:

9 new maps, "extra content", and the ability to have it on a cd.

4. pgc6000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I read about that a few hours ago. At first I was dissapointed finding out there was no expansion pack, but then I said "Hell! New multiplayer maps!". Anyway, I'll probaly just download the maps from Xbox Live. It will probaly cost me less and I won't have to leave my living room.

5. applekid macrumors 68020

From the bungie.net website:

Sounds like a Halo movie... :cool:

6. pgc6000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Then I might just have to get the disc...

But one thing does leave me with a question...The lead production of Xbox 2 Guy said they'd have something for us Halo 2 players. Could this be the map pack, or something for Xbox 2?

7. crachoar macrumors 6502a

$19.99 for 'bugfixes' and 'multiplayer maps'...

Oh, 'darkage of online gaming', here we come.

I remember 'back in the day' (before 'Live') that developers fixed bugs as a courtesy - and updated their games for free - hoping that people would still buy their game (since it was still being updated and content was still being created).

I also remember a day where playing games online meant that you just had to:

A) Have an online connection.
    B) Own the game.

Now, thanks to the users of Xbox: Live (and the few millions of people, currently addicted to the concept of the MMORPG), we now have to not only 'own the game' and 'have broadband'. No, now we get to rent our online gaming experiences (aka, 'monthly / yearly / bug-fix fees')! Yay!

Realistically, all of this content should be free - right off the bat. However, I'm sure some marketing genius (literally) at Microsoft said, 'But guys, anybody that wants to own Halo 2 has already gotten it. So why don't we just charge for it anyway?' And thus...$20 disc.

Depressing to say the least - but of course - I will be spending $70 (for you 'special' people: 50 (game) + 20 (fix) = 70) for the 'bug-free' Halo 2. :(

About the 'Xbox 2' comment: It is rumored that with the purchase of the Xbox 2 (with the HDD / Xbox backwards compatibility) - the system will come bundled with 'Halo 2.5' loaded onto the HDD. Apparently, it will have massive graphical improvements, as well as new content (although I haven't heard anything in terms of single-player improvements - other than graphics of course). I imagine '2.5' will just end up being the 'Halo 2' we should have gotten in the first place.

Regardless, being a 'Halo fanboy', I will buy it and cry in my bed at night because Microsoft's market department touched me in my 'bathing-suit area'.

8. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

Hey if you don't like Live than don't use it. People using Live only get 2 Maps free. Its not like your being ripped off.

And 50 bucks a year is a steal...... Xbox Live is worth much more than that...

9. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Hey, if you don't like my opinion, ****.

Why not? Same principals.

It's not that I don't like live. I don't like the fact that people can't host their own live servers to avoid the 'server costs' Microsoft imposes upon gamers. I don't like the way it's headed because this 'Halo 2 bugfix / maps' thing is just the testing waters for them to think of ways to make more money off of gamers.

All I'm saying is - things are going to start costing more and I don't like that (do you?). If they're going to charge for content updates (and even worse, the ability to play (see: WoW)), then I would appreciate it if they at least lower the cost of the initial (half-finished) product.

10. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

The Prices do suck.... i agree, although all the maps and everything will be free at the end of the summer (thanks to Mountain Dew)

Although you have to look at the bussiness side. It costs alot of money to make these things, to host them, and everything else. And Besides its Microsoft.... :rolleyes:

11. pgc6000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Live is somewhat expensive, I agree with that. But Halo 2 is just too fun online. It's worth it just for that game.

As for Halo 2.5, I heard about that too. But then I figured it was probaly the rumored expansion pack. But now it could be something else knowing that the expansion was really the map pack.

12. XboxEvolved macrumors regular

My site has posted the news as well (http://www.xbox-evolved.com/article.php?artid=2084) we will be having a special that will run in sections, as we talk about different aspect, and give theories on the maps, and what they all are. I am also getting new info from MS on the maps to get some more into what is actually inside them, and perhaps some new pics.

Xbox Live is literally the best way to play games online with Xbox and it is for the most part, very stable. As for the bug fixes, they are free to Xbox Live subscribers. A bug fix came out in the beginning and it was free, you will NEVER be charged for bug fixes. Also why should all this content be free? Yes, bug fixes should be free (and are) but don't you pay for expansion packs all the time? Is a total of $16 (using Live) really that bad for nine maps? If you want to wait, you can always wait until they make them free in the Fall. As for buying it at retail, you will be techincally buying a bug fix, but how is someone to get the bug fix without Xbox Live? They need to make it widely available. This also helps motivate people to sign up to Live for at least the free 3 months so that they can get the fixes and buy the content.

It's amazing--Microsoft wants to charge for an expansion pack like any other company would, be it Apple, EA, Activision, Blizzard, Bioware, etc, and what MS is doing with Xbox 2 is scandalious to you.

13. Devie macrumors 6502a

I think its because the Xbox being a console, people are not use to having to buy expansion packs for their games like it has become almost standard for all big PC/Mac games.

I will personally just download the first two free maps, then later on when they others come out free, I will just get them then.

14. pgc6000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, you really can't blame Microsoft/Bungie for charging you for an expansion. If we could do that, we would have the right to yell at Aspyr for charging us money for expansion packs. Besides, if you can wait long enough you can wait for them to become free.

15. crachoar macrumors 6502a

I feel like I'd be repeating myself by explaining the problem with 'pay to play' all over again (that, and it becomes pointless to debate with somebody that has a website dedicated to their ideals)...but real quick:

I'll reply to one of the various misinterpretations with a simple question:

Do you honestly think it costs anywhere near $20 to press, package and ship a CD? If so, explain.

16. pgc6000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, no :p But how else are they going to sell the CD? Free? They have to sell it for some price, and obviously it's going to be above what it cost them. Plus they put work into maps.

17. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

WE WANT NETWORK CO OP GAMES!!!

Imagine how cool it would be to play co op properly with 2 xBoxs, 2 screens etc!

I was dissapointed when i found out that you couldn't do this in Halo, but forgave Bungie as something had to give to get the release on time.

BUT WHY WAS IT NOT INCLUDED IN HALO 2???

:mad:

18. applekid macrumors 68020

Well, my estimate is it'll probably cost between $5 and $10 for making the DVD, packing it, and shipping it. It probably costs a buck or two for commercial-quality DVDs. Another two or three bucks for the case (those cases really aren't cheap...). Add some dollars for whatever their printing off (manuals, inserts, cover, etc.).

Then they put in their man hours to make the maps and whatever else which probably makes the price jump to that $19.99 (since it's a nice "even" retail price).

Just my 2¢. Hell I know about DVD production.

19. TheGimp macrumors 6502

My, aren't you entitled. Considering that Microsoft gives the Xbox hardware for about the price of a video card, it is perfectly reasonable that they charge up to $70 for a masterpiece like Halo (or Halo 2). Hell, there was a time when a single N64 cart would cost that much, and no online play. If you factor into the equation how many combined hours of entertainment you'll get from both the single and multiplayer experience, and subtract from your $70 investment what you could get for Halo 2 should you decide to sell it, then I'd say you should quit complaining and touch your bathing suit area yourself if you're not satisfied.

20. pgc6000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

21. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

22. pgc6000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

We'll just have to wait and see. I wish they'd let you dwonload the short from Xbox Live.

23. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

wow, that looks amazing!

I am siding w/ crachoar. The cost will rise...