Possible iBook purchase: Opinions?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Josh, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

Hi,

I've been considering getting an iBook - mostly just for vacations and dumping my photos to when I need to free a memory card when I'm out shooting pics.

I have a sort of delima, however.

There's all this talk about the iBooks getting an update soon (I was hoping today). but I need to get it before July 16, as that is when I leave for a trip I wanted the iBook for.

So question 1: Do you think the iBooks will get an update before then?

Question 2: I plan on buying my iBook from Compusa (so I can get 6 mos. same as cash, and pay it off in 2 months - I don't have the cash right away, and need the iBook, but could pay for it easy in a couple months).

The thing is, their iBook, seen here comes with Panther.

Will it be able to run Tiger? I know there is the Up-to-date thing where I can get Tiger for $10. But I believe on account of that, and the fact that Apple would give me $100 off education discount, that I can get them to throw in Tiger, and either extras, or the $100 off (hopefully tiger+apple care - that would be good) with it. There's no reason to buy it from them, when I can get it from Apple for $100 cheaper, plus a newer OS, so I am sure they will be willing to make a deal someway or the other.

Should I buy now (possibily tonight) or wait it out and see?

(then again, if they do get updates, CompUSA may not get the new ones for some while.....hmmmm)

2. Hattig macrumors 65816

Set yourself a date that you will order on regardless of what's happened.

e.g., June 24th leaves plenty of time after that for a 2 week online delivery.

If nothing has happened by June 24th, then order the iBook on Apple's site (or go into CompUSA and ask about the Panther/Tiger thing beforehand). If the iBook is updated soon after that, you'll probably get the upgraded version. If you miss it by a few days, you can get some money back. Otherwise you'll have it in time for your trip.

Of course, if the iBook is updated on the 16th or 17th, you can order it straight away.

Graham

3. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

If you want to wait a bit, but need something to dump photos on for your vacation, get a 30GB or 60GB IPOD. Lots of storage, and there is an adapter that lets you plug your camera directly into ipod...no computer required.

4. Josh thread starter macrumors 68000

Josh

That's a good idea about setting a date. Thanks Graham!

If I were to go the iPod route (which does seem tempting), I would probably just buy some extra memory cards instead.

I'd like to have the iBook so I can edit them and create CDs while away as well

I'll stop @ CompUSA tonight and see what they say about the Tiger/Edu. Discount stuff.

5. deetschei macrumors member

:rolleyes: Next Tuesday is sorta like tomorrow. It never actually arrives. :rolleyes:

6. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

Wait one more week, and then if nothing new arrives, go ahead and get it. That will give you time to set it up and make sure everything is OK before you start out on your trip. Good luck and enjoy your vacation :)

7. Josh thread starter macrumors 68000

Josh

Thanks to everyone for the comments.

Well...I snapped :eek:

Bought a new 14" today. I couldn't handle the pressure lol

I got it from CompUSA, and it came with Tiger.

At least this way, I figure I will have time to get used to a Mac again (3rd time switcher).

8. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

Cool, that is a nice computer too. Enjoy it and your vacation ;)