Possible job in Kuwait, should I go?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Kingsly, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Kingsly macrumors 68040

So I may be shooting some stills and video in Kuwait... Its not a sure thing yet but if I get the job should I go? I think its relatively safe there, but at the same time Im far to young to be blown up.

2. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    aren't we all far to young to be blown up?

And why not do it, i mean life is meant to be lived.
  3. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Thats my thinking... I mean, I survived a minefield... so what's a few IEDs?

Anyone ever been? What's it like?
  4. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    I recently visited Egypt a couple of years ago and found it a wonderful experience and I felt relatively safe during the trip. I am going to assume Kuwait will be a similar experience to Cairo. Personally I don't think you will be targeted there for being white (guessing it might be your race) but it is possible to be at the right place at the wrong time and be part of a bombing.

If you ask me, sounds like a fun trip.

5. beatsme macrumors 65816

Oct 6, 2005
    I would definitely check and see if there are any State Department travel advisories. No amount of money is worth your life.

then think about the pay...if it were a break-even deal I might go anyway just to say I'd been there.
  6. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Well, the state department has issued a generic travel warning for the entire middle east. Im well aware of the possible terrorist threat, but I cant find anything that mentions terrorist activity in Kuwait, UAE, Qatar, or Saudi Arabia.
  7. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    any amount of money is worth my life, damn straight
  8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    Are they making you use a Dell laptop? :eek:
  9. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
  10. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Hey you're right! Woot!

Anyways Im not sure if it'll play out, but at least I know what to say if they hire me!
  11. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Aug 4, 2005
  12. thedude110 macrumors 68020

Jun 13, 2005
    How long would you be gone for? What would the impact of your absence be on your loved ones?

If you're relatively unattached, go for it. If there are others who'll be worrying over you, well, I would probably be talking to them about it and trying to gauge how difficult this would be for them psycholgoically.
  13. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth

going to say why not?
  14. m-dogg macrumors 65816

Mar 15, 2004
    If your family situation (or lack thereof) will allow it, I say go for it. Kuwait's got to be one of the safer nations in the Middle East (relatively speaking).
  15. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6

I would imagine that you would be safe in Kuwait- but if you do go, do be sure to exercise due caution, I would hate to see something bad happen to you Kingsly. :)
  16. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

I appreciate the concern. I think as a safety measure I'd have to be as un-american as possible. :)

Although, Its becoming less and less likely that I'll be going... so yeah...
    I love free trips to dangerous places... :(
  17. Leareth macrumors 68000

Nov 11, 2004
    I am assuing you are a guy, I am too lazy to check your profile...
    if yes there is no reason not to go, get a good medical and life insurance and go. I would check out what sort of electronics you are allowed to bring into Kuwait. I was told be some of my colleagues that some middle eastern / north african countries limt what electronics you can bring in. ie digital SLR no-no but film OK ... grrr

if you are not male I would definetely not go alone... or at all.

If you don't have anyone depending on you why not go, might learn something new, plus would have one hell of a story to tell.
  18. topicolo macrumors 68000

Jun 4, 2002
    Ottawa, ON
    It's really sad for a country when a citizen has to pretend that they're from another nation when they travel abroad. If you decide to go Kingsly, good luck and stay safe.
  19. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Apr 2, 2006
    according to Kathy Griffin, "kuwait smells like a giant fart. It's like who farted? Oh, wait, Kuwait did." :x( But that's just her opinion.
  20. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Im not surprised... all that natural gas they pull out of the ground...

Leareth, I am male.
    Now you know. ;) :p

I've been sulking around all evening at the increasingly-likley prospect that it may be canceled.
    First I miss Katrina and now this.
    Life was so much more interesting before I was bound by a college schedule.:mad:
  21. scorpio8977 macrumors newbie

Aug 25, 2006
    Hi there,

Seeing as I've been living in Kuwait for the last 6 months I think I'm in a good position to give you some advice here. Contrary to the "sand and camels" reputation, Kuwait is a great place to live.

The weather is great, the people are great, you wear what you want (you'd be surprised exactly how "western" it is here), there are huge shopping malls packed with the latest designer stores, all stocked with main brands, there's a fast-food culture with every single mainstream restaurant represented here.

Radio plays every kind of music from Jazz to Slipknot, there are daily papers in Arabic & English, Satellite tv gets all major UK and USA channels.

The restrictions? No displays of public affection (unless you're wearing wedding rings - but this is never policed, or at least I've never seen it enforced and there are dozens of teenagers - both Arabic and Western - holding hands all over the place). The main restriction is that some internet pages are blocked by the ISP's (hence I have an account with Proxify) but the only things that are blocked are sites with an "adult theme". News is freely available and uncensored.

In the time I've been here, there have been terror alerts in the UK, USA, Europe and Africa. How many in Kuwait? None. There isn't anything you'd recognise as "crime" here. Domestic burglary doesn't exist, assaults and murders just don't happen here. It might have something to do with the fact that when 5 Philippino guys gang raped a female teacher last year they hung them publically and left their bodies on display for 24hrs in the open and put it on the front page of the paper just to get the point home.

Basically, for a 32 year old English guy, there's enough to keep me busy, while getting a tan, earning a nice tax-free income and having a good lifestyle.

Give it a try if you can, you might just enjoy it! You certainly won't forget it.
  22. cleanup macrumors 68030

Jun 26, 2005
    I doubt there are many terrorist attacks in Kuwait, the UAE, or Qatar...

They're foreign-investment countries. Expatriates. There will be white people everywhere.
  23. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

Jan 6, 2006
    You only live once: why not? You might not get such an opportunity again and might be forever kicking yourself that you didn't take advantage of this one.
  24. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    Time to work on your English accent. ;) :D

I laugh in the face of danger........

.....actually, I run the opposite way. :eek: ;) :D
  25. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks, your description matches my imagination quite well.