Possible .Mac changes coming?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mikentosh, Apr 22, 2005.

1. mikentosh macrumors newbie

mikentosh

I just received an email from .Mac wanting me to complete a survey. Here's a few lines:

As a valued customer of Apple Computer, we invite you to participate in a brief survey about .Mac. Your opinion is very important to us and your input will help shape the future of .Mac. The survey should take about 10 minutes to complete.

My interpretation is Apple might be seriously thinking of making major changes to the whole structure of .Mac. They asked many questions on how I used the service and had me rate each service independently. They asked about backup, online address book and bookmarks, iSync, and just about everything related to the .Mac service. They also asked questions about how I prefer to pay for .Mac: monthly=$9.95, yearly=$99.95, or every two years=$179(I think). Anyone else complete this survey? Any .Mac comments?

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I know a major change: make it $30 a year!!!!! :D Ok, probably not.

3. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I would join .Mac if they would come down on the price. It's just too high for me. :(

4. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

seconded. i'd be happier if they allowed you to sync to any server over ftp or something. i already pay for a web host, why not let me take advantage of that? better iCal support for non-.mac accounts would be wonderful too. even exporting as html and uploading to an ftp account or something. why would i pay more for .mac when i already pay A LOT more for web hosting that allows me to do anything i want, just their software doesn't.

5. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

its not that expensive at all, 99 dollars for an entire year that is just over .27 cents a day, which is nothing, you prolly spend more on gas in a month than you would for .Mac for a year

:p i love it, and would love some advancements in it

6. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i didn't get that email, o well. I only use the webpage stuff for photo's and video's and the mail, other then that, i don't really use the other stuff.

7. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

My biggest issues with .Mac are storage space and speed. They need to offer several gigs of space for it to be useful. Also, I've noticed websites hosted with .Mac are awfully slow loading.

8. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I didn't get any such e-mail either. I guess you're more valued than I, or you've been phished ... they didn't ask for your credit card number in the survey, I hope ;)

9. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

ya but then you have us other people who pay for hosting to give us more options. like say.. 2 80gig hard drives, 2000 GB of bandwidth, Linux hosting with root access.. *cough* you know.. real hosting :p we don't wanna pay $99 more just to sync our addressbooks, calendars and what have you. I pay for the hosting end, i just want access to the tools to make it easy now. I figure if they don't open up .mac i'm going to write some sort of proxy around it and force it to use my own servers and stick it to the man.

10. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    When did you first sign up for .mac? I got one of those last May (about 2 months after I actually started paying for it and 5 months after signing up). Haven't had another

11. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Apple currently has a promotion going on to coincide with the release of Tiger. It is only $69.95 for a one year .Mac subscription until May 23rd.

http://www.apple.com/promo/getmore/

12. PieMac macrumors 6502a

Anybody know if this promotion is valid for those who already have .Mac accounts and just want to good ahead and renew for another year? Or is it just for new members? It doesn't really specify from what I can tell so far.

13. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

You can use it to renew because that's what I'm going to do when my subscription runs out next week. You just have to buy the retail boxed version and enter the activation key code that comes inside the box to either renew an existing account or create a new one. Just make sure your current account is not setup for auto renewal of course first.

14. PieMac macrumors 6502a

Sounds like a plan! :)

15. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

The iDisk is too slow and too chatty. That is .Macs single biggest flaw in my opinion.

It's that crappy webdav protocol they use - I know it's a standard but it's still no good. My Internet connection is 8Mbit down 1Mbit up so I'm pretty sure it's not me making it appear slow.

16. chameeeleon macrumors 6502

Sometimes my iDisk will be lightning fast, and as soon as I've dragged the video in it's done syncing. Other times it will take over fifteen minutes just to sync a (small) photo. It definitely needs more reliability. It also needs more storage. When I have 2GB of space JUST for e-mail on Gmail, something that is acting as a dedicated storage service AND being paid for like .Mac needs to at least match that.
    I also think Apple needs to revamp all of their homepage designs. They look very old-Apple, as in Jaguar-ish style stuff. I love .Mac because of the ease that it lets me publish my videos and photos for everyone to see, but it gets tired after I've cycled through all of the templates.
    iCards are still great and as for everything else, well I can't say I really use it.
    I would be all over a revamp. Appleinsider's talked about betas of Backup 3 and exclusive .Mac widgets circulating, so maybe it can't be so far off.

17. d.perel macrumors regular

d.perel

It should be even cheaper than that because half of .mac's features are free and better somewhere else on the web. I do have .mac though, and I realy like it, but Just not enough storage at this point in time...

18. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Price is the biggest issue. Getting something a little cheaper for one year only isn't going to do it.

I'm also wondering if they're going to have a blogging option....

D

19. iGary Guest

iGary

I got one of those too - a few months back.

They had a blogging option to use with your home page - iBlog.

I think it's too expensive, but it's great for posting pics quickly, and I have to be able to sync...so they get me. :eek:

20. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I bet that the gmail concept works the same way as the mail in rebate concept works and cable broadband works. There isn't enough storage for everyone to store 2 GB, but the ones who need more storage gets the storage they need and everyone is happy, kind of like communism.

I think that would work for .Mac also, but since it's a paid service it would mean that the ones who don't need a lot of storage, like me, would also have to pay for the ones who do. I'm not sure if I want to participate in such a one way communist concept. It's better the way it is now. The ones who need more storage on .Mac can buy it. It would be nice if they could lower the prices, though.

21. mikentosh thread starter macrumors newbie

mikentosh

no credit card . . . I've been a member since the iTools days, but this is the first survey I have seen. My major complaint was also the speed of iDisk. For me it is very unreliable no matter where I access it from.