Possible new ipod at MWNY

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by fuzzy7slippers, Jun 20, 2002.

1. fuzzy7slippers macrumors member

Feb 21, 2002
    I am greatly considering getting a new ipod today or tomorrow, but i fear that there may be an update at MWNY. What do you guys think. Should i go for it, or hold out a little while longer.
  2. McFreggle macrumors 6502

Jul 18, 2001
    Dendermonde/Leuven, Belgium
    Hmmmm... if there is an update of the iPod at MacWorld (IF), it'll probably be a software update (like firmware 1.2), not a hardware update.

But I could be totally wrong :p

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    I really can't see there being any update to the iPod, but then with MWNY not far away u may aswell wait...just incase! :D
  4. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    I noticed that Macmall had some rebates for the PowerMac and the iPod. I think you can get $300 off until July 7 for the PowerMac, and $100 off the iPod until the week before that, being June 23.

I do not see an update to the iPod, since the iPod has been updated in a five month period, and because I don't think it seems likely for a 20GB iPod to have a purpose. Besides, a 20GB iPod:
    (1) means that you are spending the money for 4000 songs maximum, +/-,
    (2) would be extremely expensive, since even the 10GB is pushing the price limits, and
    (3) would be considered way too expensive for a portable hard drive.

I am happy with my 5GB iPod. And I do not plan to upgrade anytime soon.

However, some are saying that you should wait until MacWorld New York to see what happens. I am afraid to say that the iPod will not be changed, unless Apple decides to add a color screen or something, but you never know.
  5. Playball macrumors newbie

Jun 20, 2002
    Charlottesville, VA
    Here's my guess/wish.....

I don't expect that there will be any changes of the sort of larger drive, or color screen. Instead, I'm guessing that keeping with the digital hub theme, Apple will push using iTunes to act as your home steroe set-up.

What's this got to do with iPod? Well, if you've got a Mac w/speakers, the one item obviously lacking is a remote to shuffle songs, turn up the volume, etc.

Why not come out with a Bluetooth-enabled iPod that could function as a remote control for iTunes?

Think about it - all of the necessary functions are already on the iPod (volume, etc), and if your iPod has been sync-ed, you've got your full song list in front of you just waiting to be dialed.

Anyway, that's MY hope for MWNY. (That, and a faster iMac with a larger screen resolution.)
  6. Rajj macrumors 6502a

May 29, 2002
    32° 44' N 117° 10' W
  7. DavPeanut macrumors 6502

Jun 5, 2002

Thats what I would say. They have a 20 gig the same size, plus i believe the prices on all those HD's have gone down. You might see $50 or $100 price drops.
  8. macktheknife macrumors 6502a

Jan 24, 2002
    I'm waiting

I don't think there'll be a substantial price cut or HD space increase (after all, do I *really* need 20 GB worth of HD space?), but I am hoping for a slight redesign or something. I know that the iPod scratches easily and is a bit fragile, so I hope Apple can fix those shortcomings by MWNY. I'm not desparate for a new MP3 player, so I can wait as long as I need to until the new iPod with greater durability is released.
  9. crassusad44 macrumors 6502a

Nov 30, 2001
    Don't know about that 20 gig iPod. Seems to me like it will not debut for some time (HD too expensive, $700 MP3 player anyone???). A price cut on current models would be more likely.

BTW: Still love my 5 gig iPod! :)
  10. iwantanewmac macrumors 6502

Oct 24, 2001

not true not true :)
    in fact the 20 GB version from Toshiba is a little larger. (i believe 3mm) thicker than the 5 and 10 GB versions.

BTW did any1 of you guys spotted the Toshiba "IPOD"?
    you can remove the harddrive from that thing. Looks pretty cool to me :)
  11. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    Have you seen this thread? It discusses this Apple copy-off and how the peecee world has been copying Apple for a long time.

So, just remember, this product is a resemblence of the Apple iPod, but will NEVER come close. :cool:
  12. coolocity macrumors regular

Jun 24, 2002
    Central New York
    I'd wait, you may see a price drop shortly after the expo. I doubt there will be a hardware update though, it's already up to 10gigz, I don't even have that many mp3s. The only reason people would buy a 20gig would be to use as a HD. Maybe apple should make a.. uhm.. iDrive? Who knows.

- John
  13. rugby macrumors regular

Feb 21, 2002
    My magic 8-ball tells me that the price will drop and a software update will enable AAC audio files (or .mp4's) to be used with iTunes and the iPod.

Of course that might all be rolled into 10.2.
  14. drastik macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2002
    definitely wait for a price drop, it'll come down. and probably get bigger too. The joy of Apple is good hardware/software love. I would be willing to bet the Compaque thingy doesn't play well with others. Besides, iPod is still way more tasteful:)