Possible Opera DS Release Date...

Discussion in 'Games' started by ddrueckhammer, Jul 16, 2006.

1. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

So I was looking at the Opera forums for information about a possible US release date and someone posted this link saying that Nintendo has confirmed a European release date of September 29th.

http://www.planetds.de/index.php?page=newsdetails&datum=1153034466

I don't understand German and tried to translate it using Google's translator, but only understood that this is a list of release dates from Nintendo Europe. I couldn't find anything to back this up on Nintendo's or Opera's site yet so it may be a typo. With no release date for the US yet I may be importing this from Europe as opposed to importing from Japan on July 24th so that it might have better support for English...

2. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

That would be awesome I am really looking forward to getting my hands on the browser....it seems like feasible timing anyway,

ShadoW

3. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

4. ddrueckhammer thread starter macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Yeah no kidding! This is the one accessory for my DS that I have been waiting for. If the release date for the US is in December as rumored I am importing for sure...

5. 17luv macrumors member

Some shops online are/were selling it a week or so ago , think the Japanese version, but someone here (if I am not mistaken) mentioned you could easily change the language setting. If you want it now you might do a search for it here and see what comes up for Opera+DS. Good luck!

6. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

7. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

Anyone knows the north america release date? Because frankly, aside from requiring a Wi-Fi connection, a Nintendo DS Lite + Opera DS = almost fullfills my dream of a "sub-mini MacBook". With everything available online (especially with a .mac account, I assume), you could replace a laptop with this setup for light computing (browsing, mail via Web, calendar via Web, IM via Web, etc).

Opera DS doesn't support Java, Flash or animated GIFs. It's great for me because they're almost always used in annoying ways.

It does support XHTML+ECMAscript+CSS (+DOM, I assume), so most Ajax stuff should run. Opera says that it's Opera 8.5 on a DS cart, so I'll assume it can do everything the Mac version can do (browser side).

Now the question is, with the Japanese version being Opera 8.5, will the North America/Europe version be Opera 9.0? :D

8. ddrueckhammer thread starter macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

I have seen rumors that they are planning on announcing the US release date on July 24th when they release the Japanese version. The rumor is that the US release will be closer to the holidays though (November/December). The Japanese version looks like it does have English input options and will display websites in English but there may be some features that are only in Japanese...

You could definately do some light browsing on a setup like this. Including, web based instant messaging on sites like Meebo. If Google would add Opera support to google spreadsheets and other online applications you could even do some light office work if you can email the documents directly from a web interface.

9. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

July 24th and September is a huge gap. I'm really interested to see if the Japanese Version has other languages supported. If yes, I'll think I'll order it in two or three weeks time.

10. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

i was thinking the same thing. i just can't wait that long.

11. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

it looks like there will be English Input and all but no one is certain yet so just have to wait....

12. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

Sounds good...Maybe they will launch the Wii and the Opera Browser simultaneously

13. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

The wii Opera browser is built-in

14. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

he means the wii at the same time as the opera browser.

i think

15. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

Indeed I do mean that...sorry for the miscommunication

16. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

Ah! indeed you did. I didn't read it closely enough. Sorry!

17. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

If they did the browser as a part of a PDA/communications suite and bundled it with a GBA slot-SD adaptor, or at least a little 16mb GBA cart I'd be all over it like flies on ... a picnic.

I'd like a browser, a multiplatform chat app, email client, ftp client, telnet client, basic media player, text/rtf/html editor, picture viewer, basic spreadsheet app, etc. Sure, I can do MOST of that with online applications and Opera, but that means I'd have to be online... I'd much prefer a small offline stand alone set of applications all in one nice, neat bundle.

As it is... well, I'll probably wait till I can snag a used copy for $10, or they bundle it into the DS Lite 2, etc.

18. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

best be muahahhaha.

19. ddrueckhammer thread starter macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

I agree. A Palm-like suite would be awesome but this one is too tempting for me to be able to check my email and these forums at lunch to pass up. I'm usually not far from a Wifi hotspot as I'm a student...I just wanted to point out that it may be possible to use online apps to do many of the PDA functions if they would support Opera...If they add these features to an updated DS next year I will most certainly upgrade.

20. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

to run MSN Messenger on a DS Lite is like the best thing ever, if only it's possible. With the current Opera for the DS, any idea if it'll run Web MSN Messenger?

21. ddrueckhammer thread starter macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

For MSN only this might work:

http://mob.e-messenger.net/

For MSN, AIM, Jabber, ICQ, Yahoo! you can check out:

http://www5.meebo.com/

Meebo claims they don't support Opera 8.54 yet, oddly enough they support Opera 9 so it may or may not work. There were a couple of postings on Meebo's boards asking about supporting the DS browser but the staff didn't really understand that the DS Browser will be capable of displaying the full internet because their reply stated that they weren't planning on making a mobile version of their site. I'm sure someone will figure this out once some people get their hands on the DS Browser. I would like to get Aim working on mine. I don't really use it that much, but Aol is king in the U.S. still...

I also saw on the official Opera boards several people were making web portals for Nintendo Pictochat.

22. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

That really sucks that it doesn't support Flash. That's all I use for my site.. :\ And it's not "annoying" as stated above, when used correctly.

Any chance of version updates for download in the future, maybe supporting Flash? At least Flash 6... :(?

23. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Personally, I just think that your site is exceptionally well designed, better than most entirely-flash sites. Even then, with my 1600x1200 resolution, your site takes up a tiny, tiny peice of my screen...

Anyway, I doubt the DS can handle it. We're talking about a 66 MHz processor and a 33 MHz processor...

24. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

25. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

dude i love your site. it's extremely well designed!