Possible Prank

Discussion in 'Community' started by RDrebsky6868, May 3, 2005.

1. RDrebsky6868 macrumors newbie

I was attending a Univeristy this year and I left a fraternity. I will leave the fraternity and the school namelss. When I left I was aware that this particular fraternity liked to make fools of the people who leave. I was living in the dormitories for the first semester and have sinced moved out. It all started with some music files. A freind of mine who was in team with the fraternity told me that he had some music for me. He has it on a burnt cd in file form. It semmed a little odd but it was alot of songs and the kid was weird to say the least. After he gave me the music cd and took it back was when things starting to go wrong on the campus. My iCHAT would turn on and off all the time andd it would turn on my camera, even though I had my shutter closed on the iSIGHT. My brand new powermac also started to stall out and give me grey screens of death which is rare ofor a brand new mac running OSX. I wonder if sometype of backdoor program was put on my computer. If so is there anyway to find this out. And further is there any legal ramifications for something like this. I have already run norton internet security so I have a up and running firewall but I have been told that it wont find the out-sending information which was how I got into trouble in the first place. Any help will be greatly appereciated.

2. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

ouch man, thats really crappy :mad: i would go pay that kid a visit if i were you....this time maybe fists were made for fighting and that what they should do

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

perhaps is norton that is the problem, its notoriously horrible and buggy for the mac..... ive never heard a good thing about it on these boards....

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Did you simply play the CD, or did you use anything on it to install (providing your admin password)?

If the former, then no, the CD was not the method of compromise. If the latter, then yes, it's possible.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Backup your files. Reinstall the OS cleanly. Lock it down (search for "hardening OS X"). Add back the files a few at a time (although nothing you're going to explicitly back up is likely to be causing the problem).

6. RDrebsky6868 thread starter macrumors newbie

Further Explanation

I left the Fraternity in the first semester of the year and returned to school in January for the second semester and that is when it happend. My ex-friend told me he hadd some music that he bought over break and wanted to know if I wanted it. It was two black cd's with 100 songs on each mostly the beatles and the beachboys. The cds were not formatted as audio cd's. Rather they were just left as data cd's so I dont think it would ask me for my administrator password on that. I just opened the cd and clicked them to install on my music folder. So I have no idea what happend and what it did to my computer and personal life but needless to say I am pretty angry.

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

If it didn't ask for your admin password, and your Mac is more or less up to date with OS and security patches, then you should stop being mad at your "x-friend" as it's HIGHLY unlikely that his CDs were a vector for infiltration. Anything that does what you describe would require an admin password to install.

8. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

yeah it seems more like coicidence to me, try a clean install of the system or make another account and see if it happens to that account. OR you can also go to applications>utilities>Activity monitor and check what other stuff is running. still seems more like coincidence though.

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Do you own a Mac Utility like Norton or Tech Tools? Might be able to find a problem that could be fixed. At least it would save having to do another installation.

10. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

lesson: don't go the rent-a-friend route by joining a frat :D

11. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    Have you tried leaving your isight unplugged to see if the problem still happens? I read another post you made about this problem, and you never said you tried unplugging it to see if the problem stops, so there is still a chance it could be a hardware problem.

12. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

Lol, you're just paranoid man. Something else is causing all those problems--you should try a reinstall of OS X to fix it. There are no real viruses for OS X and no one is going to go through the trouble of writing one just to screw with you.

13. RDrebsky6868 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sending something out over the network

If it is not a virus or a backdoor program (which would not come up on Norton) would it be possible that the CD's contained something that was sent over the dorm network. Everyone is connected so it would be easy to send something embarassing out. Also when I ran norton. I found 4 PC trojans on my computer. I was able to get Virtual PC cheap from a friend but I dont use any internet program on it. With the virtual PC it would be possible to compromise the integrity of my Mac OSX. So I wonder how these trojans got on my computer and stayed there if I do my surfing on Mac OSX without Virtual PC running. I only used virtual PC once and it was too slow so I never used it again. I didnt delete it though. I have heard that the integrity can be compromised with virtual PC.

14. RDrebsky6868 thread starter macrumors newbie

Forgot...

The dork who would not speak to me after the CD incident was the only one who had a Macintosh as well. He had a 15 inch powerbook. I think the best advice that I got on here though is that you cant buy friends. I have to keep that in mind. Forget frats.

15. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Yes.. the integrity of Virtual PC. Windows trojans/viruses/malware simply does NOT effect a Mac (except Microsoft Macro viruses, and those are quite rare now, and don't do the trojan thing).

If you have a weak password you can be attacked and compromised over a network. If you aren't up to date on your patches, you can be attacked and compromised over the network. To date, I don't think you've provided us with any info about your Mac or OS version and/or whether you're patched up.

As noted above, if you didn't use your admin password with the CD, then nothing was installed that could do what you're seeing. And, as noted above the ONLY safe way to recover from a compromise is to ERASE and REINSTALL.

And I, for one, would never trade my fraternity experience for anything.

16. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

There are two HUGE Mac viruses making the college fraternity rounds. One is described on Symantec's site and is called "Tappa Kegga Brew", and the other is "I Felta Thigh". Okay, pretty old jokes.
    It wasn't a CD, it wasn't the music. Look elsewhere.

17. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I've heard of that one.. there was a second round of that virus called "iPassedOut.GotWrittenOn"

18. RDrebsky6868 thread starter macrumors newbie

Im going to bring it in to Apple to see what they say. M aybe it was nothing just a glitch...who knows, unfortunately these kids did alot worse things than writing while you are sleeping and drinking...if that was all it was I wouldnt leave.

19. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

hey bro,
    i think u should get an external hard drive the LaCie 250GB - d2 Hard Drive Extreme with Triple Interface, back everything up....then get the family pack of tiger and ilife 05, do i clean install of tiger and put back your stuff, then give the external hard drive to me.... then give me the disks for tiger and ilife 05 :D ;) :p

20. RDrebsky6868 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanx bro

Nothing like having family on the forums...yeah we got to get tiger

21. Cheese macrumors 6502

Cheese

In the refrigerated section at your grocer
    Are you still taking it to Apple? We are waiting to find out what the cause of youor grief is. Keep us posted!

22. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Let me save you the phonecall..

Erase and reinstall the OS.

Sound familiar?

That's what they're going to tell you. I hope that you're not expecting a "look in this folder for this file, and if it's there, you've been hacked".. because that's pure fantasy.

23. RDrebsky6868 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just going to do a clean install

When my bro comes back home we are just going to get tiger and do a clean install I dont want to waste money if thats all they are going to have me do. But...if its not a vius and its just glitches than I wonder if I should get it looked at anyway just for a diagnostic to see if there is any mechanical problems.

24. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I didn't say that you didn't get compromised.. You could have been compromised. I suggested that your X-friend's music CD probably was not the vector of compromise.

I detailed just a few other ways to compromise a Mac earlier.. To quote myself:

25. RDrebsky6868 thread starter macrumors newbie

Clean Install of OSX.4

If I just do a clean install of MAC OSX and change my passwords will that keep me safe or will certain ports etc. still be accessible unless I do something about them. Or willl the clean install fix all that. Apple gave me a call back on Friday because I hung up on one of the guys who "No speaka de English." I am going to give them a call back Monday. I guess what I am saying is that if there is nothing Apple can do how can I keep my apple super-safe for the future in a digital age.