Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Superhob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
The superdrive 15 inch PB has a 2-3 weeks! waiting time if ANY upgrades are done. The 12 inch PBs have a 2-4 day waiting if any upgrades are done. The regular 15 inch and the 17 inch both have the usual 1-3 day waiting with any upgrades.

I don't know if this is an early sign of newer powerbooks but, I thought I'd share it anyway for those of you who are eagerly awaiting...

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...yeah, but couldn't you have shared this in one of the countless other "new powerbook" threads...not to pick on you, but we really don't need another thread for every person's minor little tidbit or thought...oh yeah!

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Not only that, but AppleInsider's reporting that there may be some new PRO level machines announced within the next 2 weeks or so.

QUOTE:

Likewise, sources say Apple remains in a position where they could suddenly introduce new professional Macs such as dual-core Power Mac G5s and jazzed-up PowerBooks G4s. Inventory levels of all Macs are are significantly lower than usual with the company's September fiscal quarter ending earlier in the week.

Over in Europe, Apple's distribution channels are as dry as they have ever been, according France-based MacBidouille. "It never happened before, networks between the European distributors for Apple and the local AppleCenters are almost empty," said Lionel, the Web site's editior. "Beside some eMacs and PowerBooks, there is no stocks from the Powermac G5 to the Mac mini, the same for the iBook and the of course the iPod."

While its been reported that Apple continues to struggle with a final update to its PowerPC-based PowerBook G4 line, volume Macintosh buyers were told this week that they could expect Power Mac G5-related announcements sometime in the "next two weeks."

intent

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2005
Sackville, NB or Burnaby, BC
Ever since I gave in and bought my 12" Powerbook (shipping now!) so I can take advantage of the iPod Mini deal, I've been continously checking sites to make sure Apple doesn't upgrade the product line or lower prices...

In fact, just a few minutes ago I dropped my jaw when I saw the Apple ad for 1.67GHz Powerbooks. I was in shock until I came to the realization that they were up to that speed right now anyways.

I've never been this excited about a computer before. I've spent the last few weeks researching my purchase, and even though the iBook is a better bang for the buck, I'm thinking I can't go wrong with a Powerbook. I can go on and on, but you guys get the point.

:)
Chris.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
I hope they get updated soon.

Look for more updates and news on News.MacBST.com - New! - Join! Just enter 10 posts, and you can win a $10 iTunes Music Store Gift Certificate Gift Card! - It will be electronically mailed to you... to join: click here! - Check it out!

EDIT: that was accidently put there - was editing signature in the other window. I didn't mean to spam!! sorry!! :eek:

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
EDIT: Removed quote, now you have to remove the bit I quoted. It's still there.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Superhob said:
The superdrive 15 inch PB has a 2-3 weeks! waiting time if ANY upgrades are done. The 12 inch PBs have a 2-4 day waiting if any upgrades are done. The regular 15 inch and the 17 inch both have the usual 1-3 day waiting with any upgrades.

I don't know if this is an early sign of newer powerbooks but, I thought I'd share it anyway for those of you who are eagerly awaiting...
The indicates that there will possibly be updates in the next 3 weeks. SO don't hold your breath if you thought it was going to be announced this next week (although it could be). And it could just be a factory issue.

Also, PowerMac leadtimes have jumped to 5-7 days for BTO. They may get updated before the PowerBooks.

paulman

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2004
Its gonna be tuesday. Waiting times and the massive glut of refurbs points to only one thing:

G5 powerbooks!!!!

(OK, maybe not but at least a small update)

themacman

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2004
kc
cruxed said:
Woohoo! I'm here patiently waiting for a Tuesday update.
yeah same. But what more could they do to the powerbook, they probably arent going to use a new chip, more ram? standard superdrive??

adrian-cg

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2005
themacman said:
yeah same. But what more could they do to the powerbook, they probably arent going to use a new chip, more ram? standard superdrive??
I'm hoping for the 7448 if the update actually happens.

a.k.a. Melvin

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2005
Studio City, CA
With the new 7448 chip and newer hard drives that spin at 7400rpm, my guess is that the Powerbook update has been waiting for all the little pieces to fall into place. A bump in performance across the board (graphics, RAM, hard drive speed, DVD burn speed, lower power consumption, higher battery life, etc...) is not a minor update but a significant update imo.

I've been waiting since July for an update. The one good thing about constantly checking these rumor and news sites is that it keeps me from playing SuDoku all say long.

Mel

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
If there is an update only one of the powerbooks will be getting a RAM increase, and that would be the 12" powerbook having 512MB on board bringing the maximum up to 1.5GB.

Every other one would stay the same in regards to RAM

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
a.k.a. Melvin said:
With the new 7448 chip and newer hard drives that spin at 7400rpm, my guess is that the Powerbook update has been waiting for all the little pieces to fall into place. A bump in performance across the board (graphics, RAM, hard drive speed, DVD burn speed, lower power consumption, higher battery life, etc...) is not a minor update but a significant update imo.

I've been waiting since July for an update. The one good thing about constantly checking these rumor and news sites is that it keeps me from playing SuDoku all say long.

Mel
Using a 7400RPM hard drive will suck power down the drain even with a battery upgrade. This is why most notebooks don't use them.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
a.k.a. Melvin said:
Who makes a 7400RPM drive? The standard speeds for 2.5" drives are 4200RPM, 5400RPM and 7200RPM.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
QuarterSwede said:
Using a 7400RPM hard drive will suck power down the drain even with a battery upgrade. This is why most notebooks don't use them.

Actually, it's because they produce too much heat. They spin faster, and use more power because of it, but since they spin faster, they also don't need to spin for as long.

c2104338

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2005
Newcastle, Australia
Abstract said:
Actually, it's because they produce too much heat. They spin faster, and use more power because of it, but since they spin faster, they also don't need to spin for as long.

Don't confuse notebook HDDs with desktop HDDs. New 7200rpm notebook drives actually run quite cool and, as you mentioned, don't draw much power.
here are some figures:
Max (startup):
Toshiba 4200rpm: 4.7W
Hitachi 7200rpm: 5.5W

Seek/read/write:
Toshiba 4200rpm: 2.3-2.6W
Hitachi 7200rpm: 2.6W

Idle
Toshiba 4200rpm 0.9W
Hitachi 7200rpm 0.85-2W

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.