Possible solution to Black Hole Information Paradox.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by medea, Jul 16, 2004.

1. medea macrumors 68030

medea

2. Ari_0 macrumors regular

Yeah I saw the documentary on that yesterday night. Pretty fascinating stuff

3. iGav macrumors G3

Which undoubtedly will be disproved in 30 years time as well. :rolleyes: :p

4. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Does anyone watch Nova? That show is awesome! I saw one on this, and another on String Theory. Pretty wild stuff.

5. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

There's a book on that, called The Elegan Universe by Brian Greene. Personally I think the book is better than the movie, but sometimes it gets hard to understand what the book is saying without pictures.

I've read a couple of Stephen's books, A Brief History of Time to name one, that guy is an abosolute genius....
    But it's ashame that he has that desease, I forget what it's called.... um is it muscular dystrophy?

and about 'emiting information' don't black holes do that already?
    Stuff gets sucked into black hole.
    Stuff goes though worm hole.
    Stuff goes out though white hole, into another part of the galaxy.

And I also don't think that something can just dissapear into oblivian, matter is neither created nor destroyed, it just changes forms. (of course, it had to be created at one time, I think :eek: )

ehhh, wtf am I talking about??? I'm gonna go play poker......

6. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.

Amyletrophic Lateral Sclerosis aka ALS aka Lou Gehrig's disease.

Stephen Hawking did that on an episode of Star Trek. Props to anyone who can name the rest of the people at the table.

I am not sure about his solution, it sounds a lot like a naked singularity to me.

7. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

ahhh, thats it! But I guess I'd rather have an IQ of 180+ and have Lou Gehrig's disease.

Never watched Star Trek.

8. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Um lets see, (I'm not a big Star Trek fan, but I'm using my Pop culture Jedi like powers to remember...) they were playing cards in a holodeck, it was Hawkings, Enstein, Newton, and Data... not sure if there were any more.

9. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

No more, that was it.

!!!!YOU WON!!!!

Go to the nearest black hole to collect your Powerbook G5! :D

10. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

The real question is: can you name the episode? ;)

Better yet, how about the episode and the hand that won Hawking the game.

11. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I believe it went to Red Alert before he actually won :p

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Let's get this back on topic.

If he's presenting the info next week - how do we even know if its going to be accepted as a solution. The article even goes on to say that the jury is going to be out on the whole thing.

D

13. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

The jury is still out on everything! String Theory, Dark matter, etc. As a student of history I am always cognizant that, to quote an old album from Firesign Theater, "Everything you know is wrong". Hell, they don't even have a clue why the sun's corona is exponentially hotter than its surface, or where all the nutrinos are! While things like this make great reading (I'm a BIG fan of Hawking and theoretical physics), it might just not be worth the paper it's written on.

14. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

They found the neutrinos. They come in 3 types. The Neutrinos can change between the types Only 1 was detectable by the equipment. The other 2 have now been detected.

As for why the corona is hotter, I personally believe (and speaking out of my tuckas here) that there isn't enough room in the sun for it to be hot. Heat is the sum of molecular motion. With gravity holding everything cheek and jowl nothing can vibrate. I imagine that the center of the sun paradoxically approaches absolute 0

What I read in National Geographic recently was the theory behind the corona being so hot was that was where the magnetic lines reconnect and that the magnetic field heats it up.

15. iMook macrumors regular

No, gravity doesn't have much of a dampening effect on thermal vibration. The Sun is still, for the most part, gaseous. Many solar physicists believe that the intense (and everchanging) magnetic fields in the corona create large amounts of energy through their interactions. Think of it as a sort of magnetic friction.

And no, temperature should not approach absolute zero as we approach the Sun's center. Gravitational pull is the most intense there, and creates ENORMOUS (dare I say "ginormous"? :p) pressure, which translates into higher temperatures. Though some speculate that the Sun could indeed have a metallic core, due to the high-mass products of multistage fusion, it is generally accepted that the center is hottest place in the Sun, and that such a metallic core, if it existed would be solid solely due to the gravitational pull and the near-inability of such heavy elements to undergo fusion.

16. mainstreetmark macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

To nitpick a tiny bit, gravity at the center of a sun (or any sphere) is zero, as there is equal mass in all directions. It all gets canceled. However, all the mass in outer layers is drawn towards the center, so the pressure remains, just not the gravity.

(the matter at the surface of the sun has 1 sun diameter of mass pulling it towards center. The matter half way in has .75 diameters pulling it in, and so on..)

17. Fender2112 macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

18. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Hawking's theory was worng!

Stephen Hawking revanps black hole theory

19. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

To nitpick an even tinier bit: the gravity at the center of a perfect sphere (or spherical shell) of uniform density is zero - only taking into account that sphere's mass. Of course, the gravity effect from other, outside matter is still there, and no real sphere is perfect.

20. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Umm...

Wouldn't there be 0 gravity at the center of gravity of an object of any shape. (ignoring the rest of the universe of course.)