Possible that a new PB revision is in the wings?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by arribadia, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Logik macrumors 6502a

they were just updated in january. not likely. maybe an addition of a Hi-def 17" is rumored. but that is all. no updates planned or expected.

2. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

3. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I would think that the Rev d. PB will be the last, although this would require a new type of processor. And figuring that out is a whole other ordeal. As soon as the next update comes out, I'm there.

4. Logik macrumors 6502a

i'll repeat this from another thread back in january ..

you won't see G5 powerbooks, you will see Dual-Core G4's first. THe next revision will be Dual-Core G4's in the powerbook. They are slated for sampling 3rd or 4th quarter this year.. expect a new powerbook for MWSF 2006. That's my guess. Sample in 3rd or 4th quarter, announce at MWSF in january.

5. arribadia thread starter macrumors member

Wow... this one year cycle mantra is quite ridiculous...

By then the current lot is so so backward :(

6. Logik macrumors 6502a

i wouldn't rule out a speed bump in july though.

7. Beck446 macrumors regular

Apple will have to update again in 2005. Sales are already starting to suffer and any change in the iBook line will make it worse. Apple won't wait this one out. They will release an update ASAP notwithstanding the usual update cycle. If they could get one out for education/holiday season, they would.

8. Bear macrumors G3

The next PowerBook update will hopefully be a dual-core G4 from freescale. That will be more than enough to distinguish it from a single core G4 in an iBook.

Unless something happens to my PowerBook, I'm waiting until a dual core 2.0GHz or faster (G4 or G5) PowerBook model is available before I upgrade. And even then I won't be upgrading before mid next year at the earliest.

9. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

Should i sell my 1.67ghz PB now and use the money for the new new pb?!

10. Bear macrumors G3

I hope you're joking. There is no telling how long the wait will be before the next PowerBook announcements.

11. arribadia thread starter macrumors member

I don't think so... actually what I'm eyeing is one of those power saving freescale G4 chips (forgot the part number), but those supposedly run on 1/2 the power they do now.

And hopefully if the new chips have a better memory controller... wow, it'd be so great.

Dual core is good.. but the improvements aren't that good for most stuff actually.

12. Beck446 macrumors regular

I think you're referring to the e600. It is supposed to scale to 2 ghz +

13. arribadia thread starter macrumors member

What other improvements do these have?

14. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Yeah, you should do that. In fact your 1.67 PB is soooo outdated. I tell you what, I'll be kind and give you 500 bucks for it, deal?

ahhh, sarcasm :D :D

15. MacTruck macrumors 65816

MacTruck

I tell you what, I was waiting for the new dual core powerbooks myself. I was thinking that they are going to come out with one in June but then I gave in to tempation and went to the apple store and got the top of the line 15" with dual link and 100gb hard drive and I could'nt be happier. Its very snappy and I love it. I put 2gb of ram in it and it flies. Will I be upset if they come out with a dual core in June, nope. I will buy that one too. With the evolution of video and stuff available for the mac now you can take that older powerbook and put it on top of your tv and use it as a DVR. That is the role that my Tibook is currently engaged in and it is awesome. Macs forever in every room. :)

16. arribadia thread starter macrumors member

Not everyone is made of money :D