Possible Tiger Release Dates?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Punani, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Punani macrumors regular

Punani

I was browsing the Tiger Preview on Apple's site and noticed some interesting dates in the Spotlight preview movie.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

March 26 and June 24 - 26 sound oddly like release dates...of course it could just be coincidental. ;)

2. Logik macrumors 6502a

ya this stuff has been pointed out before. kinda not new but regardless i'm hoping for a march release... though i'm kinda doubting it :(

then again i am going to need the extra time to find money to buy tiger after buying an ipod shuffle... which i am currently listening to woo ;)

anyway.. we won't be so sure unless apple feature freezes tiger soon.. that would mean alpha shortly followed by beta.. i have a feeling it should be soon ... not sure how long apple's alpha and beta cycles tend to be.. so we'll see..

3. jlewis2k1 macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

hmm, personally i think that Tiget wont be released till like June or maybe July. Im sure Apple got a lot of bugs they need to kill before sending it out to the hands of consumers and businesses.

4. mowogg macrumors 6502

mowogg

Tiger will likely be released on...

June 30th, 2005.

That is unless Steve makes an announcement in June that they will miss the Q1 2005 target. They did something similar last year with the iMac (and it was worth the wait!) so I wouldn't hold my breath.
    If they do make June 30th, that would make for a nice Fourth of July holiday.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Apple usually releases things on Tuesdays (sometimes it's Monday, like the most recent PowerBook update); therefore, I'd think Monday, June 27, 2005 or Tuesday, June 28, 2005 are more likely than Thursday, June 30, 2005 as release dates for Tiger.

6. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

I think Tiger will be released with some functions taken out that were in the preview releases... IMO!

7. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Sure it's subject to change, but why would they remove stuff from Tiger unless they couldn't implement it? Yes, I know they removed home-on-iPod from Panther, but they couldn't implement it well enough for their users. I don't see anything being removed from Tiger.
    -Chase

8. Punani thread starter macrumors regular

Punani

I suppose it wouldn't be unreasonable, provided that they are not major features/functions, to put them in a point update...

9. Punani thread starter macrumors regular

Punani

Mac OS X 10.0 was released on Saturday the 24th of March. In addition, Puma (10.1) was released on Saturday the 29th of September. Clearly my original comments regarding the release dates of OS X were incorrect.

However, if NAB is to be the big cornerstone event, it would seem to imply a release in March due to the timing of NAB or a very, very close release date immediately preceding or following the expo.

Also, WWDC is not always in late June. In 2002 it was in early May.

10. Jaz macrumors regular

WWDC is always late June.

I'd bet on the usual trick of handing free copies to everyone who attends the keynote. They've done it before with the iSight intro etc.

That would point to a June 30th release. I'd like to see it April but as long as they hit 1H 2005 then I'll be happy.

11. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Actually, all OS X release dates have been on a Friday.

My prediction is Friday, June 24, 2005, 6 P.M. EST

12. maya macrumors 68040

maya

With all this attention on "NAB", I have a feeling that Apple will release Tiger either at "NAB" or in the same month April 2005.

There is no other BIG show other than NAB for Apple and Core Image is a big deal for broadcasting industry. Plus this would leave ample time to tell developers at WWDC 2005 that we have sold X amount of copies and have X amount of Apple software that is Tiger ready and so forth. :)

13. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I can see steve @ WWDC ...

"Today we can say officially Panther is over, we are glad to release Tiger for you, right now, today" ... "Delivery in 3 weeks" ... "I hope you love it as much as we do" ... "Thanks to the eng., relatives, friends... and those who have friends who know someone who may be friend of an apple employee"
    "Thank you" ...

10.4.1 by september?

J/K

I do hope a March/April release...

14. Zaty macrumors 65816

That would be a good bet. However, I think they will do a demo of Tiger at WWDC. The official release date would have to be Friday after the WWDC keynote. Has the date for this year's WWDC already been confirmed?

15. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

Tiger 10.4 within 12 weeks from today would be my guess

16. Punani thread starter macrumors regular

Punani

Is it just a coincidence that the June date in the Spotlight snapshot is during WWDC? :D