Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swingline

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2005
I have windows on 1 hard drive and osx on the other. I can view the windows hard drive in osx but can not view the osx drive in windows xp. Is there any way I can fix this so that I can access my files located on the osx drive while running in windows? Thanks in advance!

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
This is because your Mac formatted hard drive isn't understood by Windows. There is a product called MacDrive that allows Windows to read HFS+ volumes, but I'm not sure it supports HFS+ partitions on the same disk as a Window install.

dusanv

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2006
Or create a FAT32 partition somewhere that both OS X and Windows/Linux can read/write. Or use a network share.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
This is because your Mac formatted hard drive isn't understood by Windows. There is a product called MacDrive that allows Windows to read HFS+ volumes, but I'm not sure it supports HFS+ partitions on the same disk as a Window install.

Macdrive is here, it seems to allow access to the same disk, otherwise it'd be mentioned in their bootcamp section.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC

It does work. This is what I use to be able to access my OSX partition when I'm in windows - it's nice to be able to cross over between both regardless of what OS I'm using.

aiongiant

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
only work if the mac parition is on the same drive... if it's a seperate drive then it doens't see it.. curious aobut this myself...

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
only work if the mac parition is on the same drive... if it's a seperate drive then it doens't see it.. curious aobut this myself...

MacDrive 6 will see any mac formatted media wether it be a hard drive cdrom disk dvd disk or even a mac formatted ipod.

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
Please note that mac drive will leave your hard drives open to the effects of malicious windows viruses.

Noth

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2006
Please note that mac drive will leave your hard drives open to the effects of malicious windows viruses.

To an extent, yes. For instance, if there's another virus like ILoveYou that goes out and deletes all of your MP3s and your MP3s are on one of your HFS+ volumes then it can delete them, but the virus won't be able to actually infect anything on the volume unless it's holding some Windows binaries and those won't be able to affect the usage of OS X anyway.

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
i just got macdrive 6 and i am not able to see any of my mac drives :confused:

Do you by any chance have Deamon tools installed? or Alchohol 120%? If so there is a driver conflict causing that. If that is the case let us know and i'll point you in the right direction to fix it.

swingline

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2005
Do you by any chance have Deamon tools installed? or Alchohol 120%? If so there is a driver conflict causing that. If that is the case let us know and i'll point you in the right direction to fix it.

Yes actually I do have daemon tools installed. Please let let me know how I can resolve this conflict. I can always uninstall daemon tools but it would be much more convenient if I didnt have to. Thanks in advance!

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
Yes actually I do have daemon tools installed. Please let let me know how I can resolve this conflict. I can always uninstall daemon tools but it would be much more convenient if I didnt have to. Thanks in advance!

OK goto Daemon tools page and look for the utility SPTDinst X86 so you can turn on and off the scsi emulation driver. I simply uninstalled daemon tools 4.x and installed 3.47 which does not have this problem.

swingline

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2005
OK goto Daemon tools page and look for the utility SPTDinst X86 so you can turn on and off the scsi emulation driver. I simply uninstalled daemon tools 4.x and installed 3.47 which does not have this problem.

i uninstalled daemon tools 4x and installed 3.47. i still dont see my mac drive :confused: i even restarted the computer but no luck. is there anything else that might be conflicting with macdrive 6?

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
i uninstalled daemon tools 4x and installed 3.47. i still dont see my mac drive :confused: i even restarted the computer but no luck. is there anything else that might be conflicting with macdrive 6?

Did you run the utility? to remove the scsi driver that Daemon tools installs? And do you have Alchol 120% installed? Or anything that creates a virtual drive on the machine as I stated befor daemon tools 3.47 does work without a problem.

Compatibility...Daemon Tools v4 and Alcohol 120%

Important update on November 2, 2006

The incompatibility described in this Knowledgebase article has been resolved with the release of the SPTD 1.35 version. Please visit the appropriate vendor web site to update your version of Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120% to restore compatibility with MacDrive.

An incompatibility has been discovered between MacDrive and the SPTD (SCSI Pass Through Direct) Driver that leaves MacDrive unable to mount or provide a drive letter to Mac-formatted hard disks. The SPTD Driver is required to run such applications as Daemon-Tools (v4 and later) and Alcohol 120%.

swingline

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2005
Did you run the utility? to remove the scsi driver that Daemon tools installs? And do you have Alchol 120% installed? Or anything that creates a virtual drive on the machine as I stated befor daemon tools 3.47 does work without a problem.

Compatibility...Daemon Tools v4 and Alcohol 120%

Important update on November 2, 2006

The incompatibility described in this Knowledgebase article has been resolved with the release of the SPTD 1.35 version. Please visit the appropriate vendor web site to update your version of Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120% to restore compatibility with MacDrive.

An incompatibility has been discovered between MacDrive and the SPTD (SCSI Pass Through Direct) Driver that leaves MacDrive unable to mount or provide a drive letter to Mac-formatted hard disks. The SPTD Driver is required to run such applications as Daemon-Tools (v4 and later) and Alcohol 120%.

oh i didnt know it doesnt remove itself after uninstalling daemon tools. thanks. i have one last trouble... i ran cmd and it starts in C:\documents and settings\administration> but when i enter "sptdinst_x86.exe remove" as instructed on the site, it says " 'sptdinst_x86 .exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
oh i didnt know it doesnt remove itself after uninstalling daemon tools. thanks. i have one last trouble... i ran cmd and it starts in C:\documents and settings\administration> but when i enter "sptdinst_x86.exe remove" as instructed on the site, it says " 'sptdinst_x86 .exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

You need to change directory to where the sptdinst_x86.exe is unless you have it in a directory that is in the path.

Copy the file to the root of c:

then type cd\

then run the command

or since they are saying that the latest builds of daemon tools solve this problem and I hadn't noticed that until my last post. As of november 2nd the latest builds are compatible with macdrive 6.

aneks

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2006
having no problems on my system and I am runnign mac drive and daemon tools. my only whine is that I can see the drives that are software raided in OSX .... oh well close enough !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.