Possible To Add Another iTunes Library?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tuned MP5T, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Tuned MP5T macrumors regular

I know you can but I want this library to be empty. The reason being my daugther did really well on her report card and for her reward she wants a mini ipod. But some of the songs are explicit and I would for her to have her own library.

2. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

If you have one Mac then if you setup her a new User account she can build an iTunes Library there

Or another way is to setup a Playlist and have only those songs load onto her iPod

3. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Yes, but you would have to give her her own user. By default the iTunes Music Library is put into /users/"Your user name"/music/iTunes. So if she has her own account her itunes library will be empty to start out with. If you dont want her to have her own account then you could simply creat a new library in your user account, but you'd have to switch the library in the prefrences to get back to your music.

4. Tuned MP5T thread starter macrumors regular

This is actually on a PeeCee and the Library is on another drive not the default iTunes folder. But I like Norouzi idea, but I tried add another folder and that didn't work.

5. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Ok, I'm on a PC here at work and I just tried doing what I sugested, and it dosen't seem that it'll work. I can choose another folder for the library and it changes, but the library dosen't update automaticly. I've even tried trashing the 2 iTunes Library files in the iTunes folder and no go. So that's kind of a pain.
    Well even is your on a PC, if you creat an account for your daughter it should still create a new Library for her in iTunes since on the PC the music files are stored in /documents and settings/"Your User"/My Documents/My Music/iTunes/iTunes Music. So if you create her a new account it should work the same as on the Mac and give her her own Library.