possible to admin airport?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by slipper, Dec 12, 2003.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

Nov 19, 2003
    is it possible to admin the airport wifi? if possible i would like to be able to provide password to access my wifi hotspot and limit bandwidth to bandwidth hogs.
  2. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

Nov 19, 2003
  3. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

Oct 24, 2002
    The West Loop

Sure you can! Don't know for the life of me why nobody responded.

Id' recommend you not only enable WEP (Password), but also create an access control list to specifically allow the MAC addresses of only those authorized - so even if someone got the PW, they still couldn't even gain physical connection to the PW question.

Third, if this is a wireless only router - meaning you are not using it to NAT to wired computers, I'd check "Create Closed Network", to make your network invisible to snoops.

As for limiting bandwidth usage to a MAC address, I'm sure it can be done, but not near my AEBS to even play around with it right now. I'll see what I can find.
  4. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    I don't know how important bandwidth limitation of the actual AE is, there should be far more capacity in the 54Mbps of the Airport system than is in your internet connection. I suppose you'd want to make sure no one took over the entire bandwidth of your internet connection, but I don't think anything native to the AE software lets you do that. I would imagine it would take a 3rd party solution of some sort, I know colleges can limit the bandwidth certain types of files (like ones that end with .mp3 or MPEG;) ) receive, reserving a portion of the total bandwidth for important things like professors emails and stuff. Not that any of them check it ever :rolleyes: but I digress. There should be software available, but it isn't in your AE program. If you are just sharing your connection with a few friends I wouldn't worry too much about limiting bandwidth, if they are hogging the thing you just cut them off!

And PoB's advice about your network is spot-on, lock that sucker down tight. Only allow those you know and trust to access your network.