Possible to buy a blackberry, and not have to buy 'blackberry service' from provider?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jschultz, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

I'm curious because I want a blackberry, but don't want to have to pay the rediculous $40 blackberry plan on top of what I pay. Is there some way to avoid this?

Thanks!
    (Hate my RAZR)

2. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

i take it you don't expect push email then without paying for the blackberry plan? i have a blackberry 8700c with cingular - i've used it for some time without the blackberry plan to have push email, and it worked fine as a regular cell phone and organizer...

3. Jschultz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

Well, right. I don't plan on utilizing push email, or any other browswer...etc. stuff. I'd like it as an organizer/planner and a better alternative to my razr. I just didn't know if I could buy and use it just as a phone and organizer. I'll be going through US Cellular too, if it matters. Oddly enough, when I try a mock trial of 'adding it to my cart' on the USC page, it automatically adds the 'blackberry plan'.

How you you like yours, btw?

4. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

i liked it (i've since switched to a sony ericsson p990i - i missed having a camera, touchscreen, and a few other things). the blackberry is absolutely brilliant with the push email option. without push email, it worked well but no better than any other phone for just regular cell phone/organizer use. the full keyboard is great, so if you send a lot of text messages, you'd enjoy that. it bothered me that it was not capable of any data transfer via bluetooth (no syncing, no sending/receiving contacts, no bluetooth modem for powerbook), only audio with a headset.

i've had a treo before, and preferred the palm organizer functions over the blackberry. would you consider a treo instead? the 680 that should be out soon looks nice.

i think the pearl would be the best blackberry if push email is not really the focus. at least there's a camera and multimedia capability (if you want this, that is), though it lacks the full qwerty keyboard.

cingular definitely allows you the option to have a blackberry without the data/push email plan (i'd ordered the blackberry online even, and was not required to add the data plan). you may just need to call us cellular to be able to place your order without the plan...

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You *should* be able to, but it sounds like your provider wants some extra money out of you ;) Maybe if you go into a store and talk to them, they'll let you do it

6. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

crdean1

Yes, you can do this, but it is definitely worth the $40 monthly, or a smaller plan, to have the push email and browser features.

7. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I have the Pearl (typing on it now) through T-Mobile and don't pay for the BlackBerry service. Just internet access for $19/mo. I get email from two different accounts - one pop and one IMap. Plus I get web. I can see why they call it CrackBerry :)

[EDIT]Oh, and I get instant notification when a new email message arrives. Also, I gotta say, I'm totally impressed with SureType. It's amazing how it knows what I'm thinking!

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

So what's the difference between internet for $19/month and BlackBerry service which I assume is more money? We're switching to T next month and I've been considering a BlackBerry pearl, but am trying to justify the $20/month and the cost of the phone when I already have an unlocked w810i which I love

9. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Not sure. I didn't see the value...

10. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

crdean1

I would guess that the internet access allows you to check your email (through the internet), but the blackberry service allows you to use the push technology through the webclient, which comes to the inbox on your handheld. That's how mine works through Cingular anyway.

11. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Ok check it out...T-mobile has a $19.99 a month for UNLIMITED DATA (which happens to include unlimited web browsing AND have it push your PERSONAL email). With this you can setup i think upto 5 personal email addresses (I have 2 with gmail, 1 for school, and one for aol) and you can browse the net all you want. Now the $39.99 blackberry service is mostly used for corporate accounts. This is if you access your email thru outlook, or something else thru your job. I also have the BB pearl on t-mobile and I LOVE IT. I use Ramble IM, which is a client for AIM that uses data (I have unlimited data so i never pay). What t-mobile doesnt tell you is that unless you have unlimited text ($14.99 per month) every IM you send/receive with the AIM client that comes built in with the BB, it counts as a text. But with ramble it uses data, and ive been using it for over 2 months now perfect. T-mobile has really good customer service. I remember calling them over and over to make sure things were clear when i got my BB, and they were always very helpful.

Cooknn, your right about the sure type thing. It is amazing how convienant it is.

12. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

It does the same thing via the internet. My pop and IMap messages both arrive in my inbox. Not getting what is gained with the BlackBerry service other than a new email address...

13. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Cooknn, which browser do you use to use the view these forums? You said you were typing from your BB so im curious. Is it opera mini?

14. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

It's the stock BlackBerry browser. Help says Portions of the browser are copyright 4thpass...

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Can the blackberry pearl be connected to a Mac with Bluetooth to use the phone as a modem over the edge connection?

16. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Looks like there are some caveates, but the short answer appears to be yes.