possible to buy a superdrive seperately?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by robins2001, Dec 31, 2003.

1. robins2001 macrumors member

is it possible to buy a superdrive seperatley so i can fit it into a g4 tower?

or is it possible to flash a pioneer a03/4/5/6 with a mac firmware and install that?

thanks

2. cpjakes macrumors 6502

You shouldn't need to flash the Pioneer drives, they should just work. I haven't done it myself, but it's a pretty common swap. I would go with the A06/106 because of the higher DVD write speeds, although the A05/105 is pretty cheap where it's in stock.

cpjakes

3. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

I actually did it in my dual 1.25 MDD G4. I put a Pioneer A05 in the open drive bay. It was recognized without any flashing of the firmware. A good place to check for information on this is www.xlr8yourmac.com

I got most of my info from the forums here and the info from there.

4. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

Yes

Yes it is possible. It is really quite simple. Remember, you don't want the pioneer dvr-a05, you want the dvr-105. THe difference is the software that comes with it. YOu pay more for the dvr-a05 (with software). The software is windows only. The 105 is resold by Cendyne as the DVR-105.

Install is a cynch. I found a good website (and forgot it). But I just googled for it and it walked me right through it. Post here if you need more info.

5. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

Oh yeah, buffsldr is right. It's the DVR-105 that I bought and installed.

6. robins2001 thread starter macrumors member

cheers lads, i actually currently own a 105 in my pentium machine, so i might just swap that over...

thanks

happy new year :)