Possible to clock 2.66 Mac Pro to 3.0?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by YoYoMa, Aug 13, 2006.

1. YoYoMa macrumors 6502

Supposedly they are the same chip, only one is of higher quality than the other. It could work though right? Maybe even just a clock up to 2.9?

2. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

Only if the Mac Pro motherboard have a way to change the FSB and/or Multiplier.

3. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I'd overclock an AMD proccessor but I wouldn't try that with Intel, I think the heat would dramatically effect the long term usage of the proccessor.

But in theory and know the FSB and Multipliers settings I think you could do that, it has been done with the Mac Minis before.

4. YoYoMa thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmmm, I wouldn't expect it would though eh? No way around that? Like how a video card can be overclocked inside the OS?

5. YoYoMa thread starter macrumors 6502

The new intels are VERY overclockable! And this is even better than overclocking being these chips are pretty much the same as the 3.0.

6. RichP macrumors 68000

RichP

but without a MB that is capable of such things, there is no way to overclock the chips.

Would be nice though!

7. SPUY767 macrumors 68000

SPUY767

Gotta love a fanboy. If you did even a little bit of homework you'd find that Intel chips typically overclosck to a much greater extent than AMD Chips. Expecially on the high end. For instance, I have a 2.66 GHz Pentium D that has been running happily, air cooled, at 3.8 GHz for months of 24/7 uptime. A friend and I tried to Overclock his FX-62 and failed miserable, rendering the computer unable to beet after only a few hundred mhz increase.

Read a blog or two, or better yet, get some experience, before you go mouthing offf on a message board.