Possible to connect digital TV to computer?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by slipper, Nov 30, 2003.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

hey i was wondering if its possible to connect my digital video TV box to my iMac so i can burn some programs to disc.

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

You need something to bring the video signal into the computer like the EyeTV or the TVR . The TVR will have better image quality (Full DV) while the EyeTV has poorer quality.

3. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

see i dont need an analog to digital box as i already have digital TV.

4. jedolson macrumors newbie

digitv

Rrrriiiiiight...however, if you are trying to create a HTPC (home theater PC) so you can, for instance, take a movie stream coming from your cable box or Sat and burn it to your HD and then, perhaps, to a DVD...or just to time shift the thing... Right ? To do that you have to output the Cable or Sat signal in to your iMac. Your iMac should display on your digital TV depending on the connections on the TV...getting the signal from your Cable box and/or Sat box in to your iMac is a horse of a different color. Try doing a search on HTPC or home theater PC's and imac's should reveal more.

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Unless your digital TV box has a Firewire output you'll have to use the analog outputs from the box. Which means you'll need some sort of analog to digital converter to get those analog signals into your iMac via Firewire.

Lethal

6. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

if you have an s-video out, that is a digital signal. if you have a spdif out or a optical out, those are both digital signals for sound.

that means you to get cards that will handle these, plus the software to merge the two streams together.

there is also dvi connection you can play with, but i am not familar with dvi equipment enough.

I don't see why you don't want to send an analog connection to your computer? Are you creating something that is broadcast quality? if you have digital cable or DSS, i don't think you can buy a decoder card for either of those service for your computer. so your reciever for either of those device most support digital outs if you don't want to send a analog connection.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

S-video is most certainly not digital. Read and be wise.