Possible to download DVD movie to MBA without superdrive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Thatoneguy2, Jan 28, 2011.

1. macrumors member

Dec 12, 2007
    I've asked this inside another thread, thought I would ask it here.

I was thinking DVD share, bluetooth file share or download movie to iMac then transfer to the MBA might be possible and I would not need a super drive. But I have learned that DVD share will not work for movies. Is there an easy way to take a DVD via the iMac and get it into the flash memory of the MBA? :confused:
  2. macrumors 6502a

Jan 14, 2007
    North Carolina
    Perhaps a nice sized USB thumb drive (16-32GB) would be easier?
  3. macrumors member

Oct 10, 2003
    use handbrake

use handbrake (you will need vlc installed to rip a dvd) to backup your dvds into h.264 format (use the apple tv profile) then either use a usb flash drive or import into itunes and use air share.
    Hope it helps.
  4. macrumors 68040

Jul 1, 2004
  5. macrumors member

Jan 22, 2011
    I usually back up the dvd via dvdshirnk and make an iso image with decrypter - this i transfer to a 16gb USB micro thumb drive - usually for travelling.

Once on the drive, you can mount the iso and play it via the built in DVD player. Honestly, i really wouldnt want to put the image on the SSD - as each move would be around 4gb and would just slow the SSD down over time.
  6. thread starter macrumors member

Dec 12, 2007
    Thanks for the replies guys. I think I might be better off just taking the superdrive with me when I travel as the above ideas are too complicated for me to figure out. I guess the movies have copy protection that some of those ideas work around. Thanks anyway.