Possible to download DVD movie to MBA without superdrive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Thatoneguy2, Jan 28, 2011.

1. macrumors member

I've asked this inside another thread, thought I would ask it here.

I was thinking DVD share, bluetooth file share or download movie to iMac then transfer to the MBA might be possible and I would not need a super drive. But I have learned that DVD share will not work for movies. Is there an easy way to take a DVD via the iMac and get it into the flash memory of the MBA? :confused:

2. macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

Perhaps a nice sized USB thumb drive (16-32GB) would be easier?

3. macrumors member

use handbrake

use handbrake (you will need vlc installed to rip a dvd) to backup your dvds into h.264 format (use the apple tv profile) then either use a usb flash drive or import into itunes and use air share.
    Hope it helps.

4. macrumors 68040

5. macrumors member

I usually back up the dvd via dvdshirnk and make an iso image with decrypter - this i transfer to a 16gb USB micro thumb drive - usually for travelling.

Once on the drive, you can mount the iso and play it via the built in DVD player. Honestly, i really wouldnt want to put the image on the SSD - as each move would be around 4gb and would just slow the SSD down over time.

6. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I might be better off just taking the superdrive with me when I travel as the above ideas are too complicated for me to figure out. I guess the movies have copy protection that some of those ideas work around. Thanks anyway.