Possible to Get AppleCare+ After 30 Days? *UPDATE*: No

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PrayForDeath, Apr 27, 2012.

1. PrayForDeath, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012

macrumors 6502

I recently decided to get AppleCare+ for my iPad which I have bought on release day, but I just noticed that they only let you have it within 30 days of your day of purchase.

Has anyone managed to get AppleCare+ after the 30 day deadline? I went to the Apple store today, I didn't mention my date of purchase, and they told me that I have to set up an appointment with a technician to inspect the ipad. So I have an appointment tomorrow at noon.

I will update this thread when I get back from the store tomorrow, but in the meantime I'd like to know if anyone has managed to get the extended warranty after 30 days.

2. macrumors demi-god

thatoneguy82

How far after 30days are you? Depending on the days and the physical condition of the iPad, they may let you. Just don't be adamant about it, be calm and cooperative so that it won't backfire to you.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I bought it on March 16th, so 11 days. Will be 12 days tomorrow.

4. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Call them and find out, that's your best bet.

5. macrumors regular

You are allowed to buy AppleCare+ with an additional penalty if your device has been broken after the 30 days. I asked a genius "If I throw my 2 month old iPad at the floor right now, can you sell AppleCare to me then?"
    Answer: "yes, but please don't"

Could always give that a try :)

6. macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

If your iPad is in perfect condition just argue its another $100 in their pocket and that they'd make you as a customer really happy!

7. macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

I've been wondering this myself. I'm always extra cautious and have never dropped/broken any of my devices but I don't want to jinx myself lol.

8. macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

+1 I was adamant about not buying AppleCare but now I don't know if I made the right decision. I hope I haven't jinxed myself.

9. macrumors 6502

Apple care+

I got mine on March 16. Went to the Apple Store on April 14. They could not sell it to me because the Credit card was charged on the 13th. Their system was locked and they could do nothing once they entered the SR#. I called Apple care from the store and talked to a supervisor and he noticed the one yr warranty expired on the night of the March 15th 2013. He sold it to me over the phone. So over 30 days, don't think you will get it.

10. macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

It is not possible to get the apple care plus after 30 days, however if you're still adamant about protection you can get square trade, they will cover accidental damage and you can still bring into the genius bar to get it fixed. Once you have your iPad fixed you simply send your invoice back to Square trade and they will cut you a check for the amount you paid less than $50 deductible. Also it's worth noting that I wrote this entire paragraph with the voice dictation, it's really actually very impressive.

11. macrumors 6502

Apple care+

From March 16 to April 27th is certainly more than 12 days. More like 40 days.

12. thread starter macrumors 6502

I was replying to the poster who asked "how far after 30 days are you?"

13. macrumors 65816

What was the point of your thread?

14. macrumors member

midloman

Day 31

I got it after 30 days. I called the Apple Store on April 15th (which I THOUGHT was day 29 after the release date of March 16th) and was told I could make an appt on April 16th and bring it in then. I did that.

When I got there, they told me I was outside of the 30 day window (by 1 day). I told them I had called the store the day before and talked to someone who assured me I could get it that day. She went to the back and came back and said they would take care of me. They couldn't get the system to take it, so they had to do a return and re-sell (I didn't even buy it there) so they could add Applecare+ to it. They did that, I paid my $100, and I'm good to go.

There are some creative ways to get around the system if they want to sell it to you but claim their system won't "let" them.

15. macrumors 68040

Move quickly and add squaretrade. Something is better than nothing but you have a time limit even on Squaretrade.

16. macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

Looks like AppleCare+ is now a desired feature here by most owners.

17. thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, well at first I wasn't interested in AppleCare+. But now I'm using the ipad every day for hours, and I take it with me everywhere, so I'd rather pay $99 for peace of mind than worry about it every time I take it outside.

I'd rather pay for insurance than pay a little less and get a protective case which would alter the appearance of the ipad.

What was the point of your post?

18. macrumors 65816

Well tomorrow is here and I asked for the point.

19. eagleglen, Apr 28, 2012

macrumors 6502a

Are people in a state of panic because they think if the drop their iPad they will have to buy a new one? With AppleCare+, you'll pay $99 plus $50 deductible, or $149 total. An out of warranty repair is only $299, only $150 more, NOT the price of a new device. Plus you only pay it if you actually need to. Everyone's risk tolerance is different, so to me, paying $100 now to possibly save $150 in the future isn't necessary. Lose or theft is a bigger concern.

Here is Apple's out of warranty price policy:

Out-of-Warranty Service
    If you own an iPad that is ineligible for warranty service but is eligible for Out-of-Warranty (OOW) Service, Apple will replace your iPad with an iPad that is new or equivalent to new in both performance and reliability for the Out-of-Warranty Service fee listed below.
    iPad model Out-of-Warranty Service Fee
    New iPad $299
    iPad 2, iPad $249
    A $6.95 shipping fee will be added if you arrange service online or by calling Apple Technical Support. All fees are in US dollars and are subject to local tax.

Certain damage is ineligible for out-of-warranty service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications. However, an iPad that has failed due to contact with liquid may be eligible for out-of-warranty service.

Link

20. macrumors member

a new i pad is well made, why u need an apple care? i bought mine about a week ago but i am not considering apple care....

p.s. the only problem with it my be accidental demage but apple care does not cover it unlike Dell does....

21. macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

What about iPad 1?

22. Jackintosh, Apr 28, 2012

macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

I used to be against AC+, but have now come over to the other side. The point about $299 out of warranty replacement vs. $148 AC+ being not that much different is valid. But we are talking about twice as much to replace.

Part of this mix is peace of mind. Having to always be worried and mindful to be extremely careful at all times is not what I want to do for the next 2 years. Not that most of us aren't careful, but lessening that constant stress by having AC+ is for many (including me) worth the upfront $99.

23. macrumors 68030

Out Of Warranty service means that it's still under the manufacturer's warranty period but is not a repair for a manufacturing defect. It's not a repair for a device that no longer has Applecare coverage.

24. Jackintosh, Apr 28, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012

macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

That's not correct. I checked Apple's out-of-warranty terms, and you can be beyond the original 1 year AppleCare covage and still be covered by their standard iPad repair service plan:

iPad model Out-of-Warranty Service Fee
    New iPad $299
    iPad 2, iPad $249

As you can see, iPad 1 is included.

25. thread starter macrumors 6502

I just got back from the Apple store. After inspecting the ipad, the technician checked the system, and then told me that she can't give me the plan because I bought it more than 30 days ago.

I told her I was not aware of the limitation, asked if there was any way to still get the plan, etc. So she went to the back and checked, and then came back and told me the only way I could get it is by calling Apple.

So I just called them, and they told me that it is not possible to give me the plan now because they are bound by a legal contract, blah blah blah.

Long story short, I couldn't get the plan. Guess I just saved myself a 100 bucks. lol