Possible to get OS X on a tablet pc?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ClarkeB, Feb 5, 2005.

1. ClarkeB macrumors 6502

Jan 24, 2005
    I am really intrigued by tablet pcs, and they have really (really!) gone down in price in the past few years and I was wondering if there is any way to get OS X to run instead of the shoddy os offered with it? I would absolutely love to carry one of these around (maybe even slap one or more apple stickers on it), but having m$ permanently branded onto the screen.. :rolleyes: like I'd pay more than 50¢ for that!

2. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Jul 23, 2003
    Austin, Texas

Unless you want to emulate OSX with PearPC, which will be numbingly slow...
  3. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

May 20, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    this might be out of your league

but i seem to remember someone making a touchscreen tablet ibook.
  4. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Jun 26, 2004
    I live in a giant bucket!
    That would be this. It is cool but its like 5 inches thick. :eek:

Still extremely cool.
  5. chv400 macrumors 6502

Dec 16, 2003
    Houston, TX
    maybe if you found a way to put an ibook board in ther, make a driver for the touch screen, and install the newton text recogniton software ...... it jsut might work :rolleyes:

( Dont ask me how)
  6. iceTrX macrumors regular

Aug 5, 2004
    Outside of Detroit.
    Touchscreen drivers already exist for OS X, and the newton text recognition software is already built into OS X as Inkwell.
  7. spaceballl macrumors 68030

Nov 2, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    they've been going down in price because they are the dumbest things ever
  8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    Why bother. OSX already has InkWell built in which is an updated and improved version of the Newton system.
  9. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    Why so?

This is at least the 4th thread in this forum that has been asking for an Apple tablet solution which proves there are at least some people who are showing an interest.

I would love an Apple tablet for work and looked at putting a troll touch screen onto my old 12” iBook similar to the guy in the above link, cost killed the idea.

My next portable computer is very likely to be a tablet of some form, I’d love it to be an Apple.
  10. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    The problem is not that there are a few people on Internet chat forums who think they want tablet Macs. The problem is that there are not enough people who will actually buy them.
  11. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    I don't disagree that the reason they're not made is because an economic case can't be made to justify such a small production run but why does that make the concept the dumbest thing ever?

The world-wide market for space shuttles is probably 2-3 but that doesn't make them dumb does it?
  12. dejo Moderator

Staff Member

Sep 2, 2004
    The Centennial State
    That just means there are at least 4 people interested in the idea. Hardly enough to justify Apple starting production of such a product, IMO.
  13. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    The manufacturers of space shuttles build them to order. Their profits are guarranteed. If you want to guarrantee the R & D, manufacturing, and distribution costs of a tablet computer, I am sure that someone will take your money.
  14. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    OK bad example. But my point was that to make the statement that something is the dumbest thing ever without saying why you think so or backing it up is itself a bit dumb.
  15. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    There are a lot of dumb ideas. spaceballl is entitled to his choice of which dumb idea is the dumbest. Although I don't agree that the tablet computer is the dumbest idea, it is still dumb. To continue to pine over something that is dead and won't be revived is worse than dumb, it is a waste of your time taking about it and and of our time listening to you.
  16. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

Jun 19, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Well the hardware has started to mature but Windows just plain sucks for a tablet PC OS. Do a Google search on memory leak and Tablet PC. There is a known bug that eats up almost all of the systems RAM and MS has not even acknowledged the issue yet. Why? Maybe its because MS hasn't even remotely dented the market yet with the Tablet PC.

Beyond that they simply don't get it. Microsoft's implementation treats all written text as written text. By default it doesn't convert your handwriting into typed text. So when you send an e-mail out it stays in handwritten text. Now maybe its just me but if I'm getting a quote from lets say Joe Blow at Aon Insurance to insure the MN Vikings I sure as hell don't want to misinterpret a 9 as a 7 because someone has sloppy handwriting. Instead of focusing on converting all those handwritten notes to typed text they are devolving the platform into something unlegible. Way to progress the platform you dumb*** idiots.

There are currently two Tablet PC formats out there.
    Slate: This is a tablet PC without a keyboard or with an attachable keyboard. The only interface is through the pen. This is cumbersome and pretty crappy for one reason. Tablet PC's will never be a jack of all trades. e.g. they will never be able to suit everyone in ever solution. If you have a lot of text to input the Tablet PC is "non-optimal" I use the term bandwidth limiting. You can't enter text nearly as fast as on a keyboard. So by and large a keyboard is mandatory

convertible: This brings us to type two of the Tablet PC. A convertible is just as it sounds. It converts from a slate to a standard notebook. Specifically a standard notebook is shaped like an L. The lid at a 90* angle from the base. With a convertible the display/lid is on a pivot. That can spin the display 180* and then can be laid flat against the keyboard. This method gives you the best of both worlds. It’s a brilliant design and if MS doesn't totally kill the platform I expect ALL laptops will someday have this design. You aren't losing anything by having such a design and are actually gaining functionality. But there is the crux of the issue. A platform has to become dominant, prevalent, and its parts have to become dirt cheap to become standard across the board. MS is doing everything they can to kill the platform. Why? My best guess is that Billy boy is not good at real time strategy games. Because I'm guessing in the game of Microsoft vs. the World they bit off more then they could chew with the X-Box, Pocket PC, Longhorn Client, Longhorn Server, Windows XP SP2, patches patches patches. Something had to give and I'm guessing that something is the Tablet PC. Stupid Bill. Don't you know how to manage your resources? I should buy you a copy of Civ III to practice on. :p

As for why a tablet computer is a good idea. Simple. First off it makes the computing environment more personal. I've used a Compaq/HP tablet for a week. Other then Transmeta CPU being dog slow the feeling of being more closely tied to the computer was alluring. Second is that there are instances where a tablet just works better then a notebook. Have you ever taken a class and the lecturer has drawn diagrams on the board. I know there have been a few cases I REALLY wish I could have simply drawn on my laptop. (That's part of the reason I love my Pocket PC.) In class settings a Tablet PC would work well, as long as its well implemented. Another example. Business meetings. Tell me. How rude is it to be sitting across from a client with a flipped open laptop taking notes? How about a tablet PC where its no different then a tablet of paper but in this case you don't have to transcribe it later. There is power and flexibility behind the idea of the tablet PC. Don't knock it because it’s a Microsoft thing.

Apple could do a Tablet computer. But not in a slate format. Imagine a 17" PowerBook convertible. If I was chained to a wall and Steve was taunting me with one across the room I would gnaw off my foot to get it. Unlike Microsoft I KNOW Apple could do it right. Oh god. I think I need to go take a cold shower now. ;) :D
  17. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

Sep 25, 2003
    First, I'm a Mac user. I've been a Mac user since my first 'Fat Mac' and I'm a Mac user now. Hence what I'm about to say isn't a bash at Apple or citical of Macs.... but among the systems I value most is my Tablet PC. I wish Apple made a Tablet, but since they don't, I bought an HP.

The reason there are a (relatively) small number of ardent Tablet PC users out there is that there are some occasions when a Tablet PC is the ideal solution (and admittedly, many more where it isn't). I'm a system administrator and a Tablet PC allows me to easily move my multi-section, expanding notebook, data, research materials, web browser, test system, email and documentation around with me where ever I go, and access it at the scribble of a pen. A laptop won't work because much of the time there's no place to put one down when I'm working, and if there were, there's no way to open it and type. The Tablet PC allows me to keep my notes, together and organized, allows me to work on problems while researching issues on the internet if I need to, and gives me a place to scribble reminders, notes, settings, configurations etc in a way that works seamlessly and almost invisibly in my work day.

Not that the Tablet PC is much good for anything else, but while for most it's an overpriced underperforming toy of dubious value, for some it's the most effective solution to a complex set of needs.

And personally, as a Mac user, I don't think it's dumb to want Apple to make one.... as much as it might be rather dumb for them to try!
  18. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    I never said he wasn't entitled to his opinion or for that matter that he shouldn't express it even if it may not be what I want to hear. I just think that if you're going to express an opinion in a forum you should try to at least explain why it is you hold that opinion.

In this thread you've said that in your opinion the tablet format is dumb because not a lot of people will buy them. So I assume that by the same inference you believe MS Windows to be far superior to Apple's OSX because look how many people run MS Windows over OSX. Was Betamax dumber than VHS? If so why did it last so much longer in the pro market than the consumer market? Could it be that even good ideas can fail because there not marketed correctly or that their timing is just not quite right.

I note that of the two threads you've started one received no replies, would you class that as dumb? It's also interesting to note that the subject of the thread was the demise of a slow selling product. As I'm sure you wouldn't pine over something that was dead and not to be revived I can only assume that you simply enjoyed pointing out someone's failure.
  19. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    And there you have it; the Tablet PC is a perfectly good idea, it's just not a very good mass-market idea.

Tablet PCs are suided for and rightly popular in lines of work where people need to walk around a lot and need quick access to computer data, or to enter things rapidly while standing somewhere. Hence, they're great for factories, warehouses, and server farms--industrial locations, bascially.

But for the average laptop user, though they might enjoy the features on occasion, that's just not how they use their laptop and they're not going to pay for the ability to do so.

Tablet PCs have found their niche, but it's just that--a niche, and not a market Apple caters to nor is currently anywhere even remotely near catering to. They might make a convertable at some point--either if they get close enough to those markets or think they can make it useful to more general users--but I seriously doubt it makes economic sense any time soon.
  20. borednroom3 macrumors newbie

Feb 7, 2005
    well that tablet pc is ok but ive heard its not very reliable. plus.... if it gets popular enough (which it probably won't) apple will work all the bugs out of it and make a great version. for myself i would stick with a laptop cause tablets don't seam to be a step up... more like a step to the side
  21. daveL macrumors 68020

Jun 18, 2003
    You should probably read a couple of the current threads about OS X running on PCs. The short answer, which you've already received, is NO.
  22. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

Jan 8, 2005
    On the moon.
    I think a tablet mac would be fun for Starcraft. Mmm.. Starcraft.
  23. Rollocks macrumors newbie

Feb 20, 2005
    Tablet PC user who switched to Mac iBook

I've been using a TabletPC (Motion Computing M1200) for the last years. I love the concept. It was great to be able to scan in documents and and then be able to have marked them up using Adobe Acrobat or the Windows Journal program (which comes with XP).

The quirkiness and lack of stability of the XP enviroment made me migrate back to Mac OS. Don't get me wrong I love the the tablet format - I had a slate and didn't use a keyboard ever. I mainly used the handwriting technology that came with the computer - worked great and speech recognition.

I just got the iBook a week ago and love the stablity - but I miss the ability to be able enter information by holding the machine like a clipboard. I wish apple would mac a tablet. I've order a wacom tablet so I can mark documents and use inkwell, but I'm sure I'll miss the ability to write directly over a document by touching the screen. Also I'll be tethered to one spot ( the table where the machine is sitting. I wish that wacom made a tablet that connected via bluetooth.

As for my old Tablet PC - I'm going to use PearPC to run OSX on it. I'll report back how well it works.