Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I despised t9, in fact, I got a new phone and drove 90 miles away... I went to a mall kiosk and told the person, if you don't make it stop doing whatever it is doing I'm throwing it out the window for an alligator to eat.

I'm not as fast on my iPhone as I was on my touch before I got my iPad. I think I'm still not typing as much on the phone as i was on the touch though.

But hey, if you love t9 more power to you for finding an option - just don't make me use it! LOL!!

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
I despised t9, in fact, I got a new phone and drove 90 miles away... I went to a mall kiosk and told the person, if you don't make it stop doing whatever it is doing I'm throwing it out the window for an alligator to eat.

I'm not as fast on my iPhone as I was on my touch before I got my iPad. I think I'm still not typing as much on the phone as i was on the touch though.

But hey, if you love t9 more power to you for finding an option - just don't make me use it! LOL!!

That's the beauty of choice. We could both enjoy the same phone but pick the input method that suited us best.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
That's the beauty of choice. We could both enjoy the same phone but pick the input method that suited us best.

Except I could so NOT figure out how to make it stop, i had no choice, I was STUCK! LOL!!!

I would think alternate keyboards would be 1/2 way easy to implement and all I can say is keep asking at apple.com/feedback for them and maybe you will get something.....

I think I'm too old to teach new tricks too though :eek:

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Is there any inherent reason why a T9 keypad wouldn't work on the iPhone or is it simply that Apple have forced iPhone users to accept that as the only input method, whether for better or worse?

The question as to whether a T9 keypad is available on a (non-jailbroken) iPhone is a resounding no. The question as to why that is the case has yet to be answered. It's not because it's 'old tech' because something being old doesn't mean it's wrong. It's not because it's 'outdated tech' because we can clearly see that for many people, it's a faster input method than a tiny QWERTY keypad. So what is the actual reason for it?

I think the answer is, we will never know what Apple's reason is/was.

I've already pointed out the reason, but you just can't accept it. For a small minority that can't or, more likely won't adapt, T9 is better. Apple, nor BB, nor Android or anyone else will resurrect this redundant tech, seemingly not even then jailbreak community from what you say, so even they must consider it pointless. It's just a waste of time to think that after 5 years apple are going to turn round and waste time coding for redundant tech. There's more chance of flash arriving on iOS than T9 and that's no chance at all.

Either adapt and move on or go find an old phone and enjoy T9. I'm pretty much done with this thread as some people are clearly in denial to the facts and it's a waste of time discussing it further.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
I've already pointed out the reason, but you just can't accept it. For a small minority that can't or, more likely won't adapt, T9 is better. Apple, nor BB, nor Android or anyone else will resurrect this redundant tech, seemingly not even then jailbreak community from what you say, so even they must consider it pointless. It's just a waste of time to think that after 5 years apple are going to turn round and waste time coding for redundant tech. There's more chance of flash arriving on iOS than T9 and that's no chance at all.

Either adapt and move on or go find an old phone and enjoy T9. I'm pretty much done with this thread as some people are clearly in denial to the facts and it's a waste of time discussing it further.

Unfortunately, you haven't answered the question I have asked.

The answer as to whether there's an inherent reason why a T9 keypad wouldn't work on the iPhone is 'no', and the reason we don't have one is because Apple have chosen not to provide one, and have chosen to not allow one to be sold in the app store. We can't say that the reason there isn't a T9 keypad is because it's 'old' or 'outdated' tech because it's never been an option to begin with for that conclusion to be drawn. The only way to make such a claim would be to first offer a T9 keypad, and see how many people use it.

People do adapt and move on, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't discuss ways to better a product. There are plenty of things that Apple need to do to make the iPhone better. This is just one of them.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I've ignored this thread all these months because I thought it was a joke. Imagine, taking everything people hated about old flip-phone keyboard typing and putting it on sleek new technology like an iPhone. People moved on from Morse Code, I suggest these folks do the same.

Anyway, I hear it's coming on the next retroiPhone:

iretrophone-steampunk-iphone-stand.jpg

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Unfortunately, you haven't answered the question I have asked.

The answer as to whether there's an inherent reason why a T9 keypad wouldn't work on the iPhone is 'no', and the reason we don't have one is because Apple have chosen not to provide one, and have chosen to not allow one to be sold in the app store. We can't say that the reason there isn't a T9 keypad is because it's 'old' or 'outdated' tech because it's never been an option to begin with for that conclusion to be drawn. The only way to make such a claim would be to first offer a T9 keypad, and see how many people use it.

People do adapt and move on, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't discuss ways to better a product. There are plenty of things that Apple need to do to make the iPhone better. This is just one of them.

Oh it's possible to be done, but it's a waste of time for a small minority and it's outdated tech. as i have said, outdated tech is reason enough not to do it. It's not just Apple that see it as this, android, BB, allsorts don't bother with it ieither. You say Apple have not allowed one to be sold in the App Store? have you got evidence of this?

It's easy to claim it's outdated tech, the sole purpose of it was to improve typing on a phone when they physically could not have a QWERTY keyboard on the screen. now they can have it, it's outdated. Is that simple enough logic for you?

you just need to embreace QWERTY, let the iPhone learn from your typing, the autocorrect does take a little getting used to, but once you teach it, it's a great time saver.

There are plenty of things that can make the iPhone better, this is NOT one of them, only a small minority want it cos they can't let go of the past. Waste of time to even consider coding for it.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Oh it's possible to be done, but it's a waste of time for a small minority and it's outdated tech. as i have said, outdated tech is reason enough not to do it. It's not just Apple that see it as this, android, BB, allsorts don't bother with it ieither. You say Apple have not allowed one to be sold in the App Store? have you got evidence of this?

It's easy to claim it's outdated tech, the sole purpose of it was to improve typing on a phone when they physically could not have a QWERTY keyboard on the screen. now they can have it, it's outdated. Is that simple enough logic for you?

you just need to embreace QWERTY, let the iPhone learn from your typing, the autocorrect does take a little getting used to, but once you teach it, it's a great time saver.

There are plenty of things that can make the iPhone better, this is NOT one of them, only a small minority want it cos they can't let go of the past. Waste of time to even consider coding for it.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree then :).

ob1gus

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2012
Anyone interested, try "Keypad 2" app at the itunes store: seems pretty straightforward, nicely spaced/sized bottons, one of the better ones I've tried and closest to a nokia phone layout and functions... what I'm most used to / quickest on + T9...

Last edited:

johny75k

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2012
t9

i wonder if its possible to download a tweak to change the default keyboard to a T9 keyboard like the pic above. i find this way much easier to write than the default landscape keyboard.

try (keypad 2) app from the Apple App Store. I found it the easiest one to use out of the rest.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
I tried T9 on my old Android phone, while it worked well on flip phones and suck, it's a real turkey on touch screens.

I have gotten to the point where I can type out a text while I am not looking at the screen. Helps to not almost walk into people while walking down the sidewalk haha.

bevhoward

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
Austin, Tx, USA
Anyone interested, try "Keypad 2" app at the itunes store

$2 fwiw

Looks like it will meet at least part of the posted need.

Since version 1 was apparently posted to the app store day before yesterday, are you associated with the app?

If so, know that my primary need for such a tool is to _learn_ and practice T-9, so it would be nice to have at least the ability to capture the output to the clipboard or to have something like a "note" available as the output destination.

This need is not only for me, but something I can refer others to who also want to learn T9.

Here's hoping,
Beverly Howard

ob1gus

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2012
".. it would be nice to have at least the ability to capture the output to the clipboard or to have something like a "note" available as the output destination."

Not sure exactly what you're asking for? You want to be able to type it into a "note" also? It gets saved in the iphone sms conversation...

And good call! Guess I am kind of associated: a freind of mine actiually did it - and I liked the idea / liked what they did, versus the other ones I've tried... so will try to pass the message on if I understood your request better...

bevhoward

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
Austin, Tx, USA
All of the T9 options I have found so far are limited based on the assumption that their only use will be to communicate... i.e. SMS and EMail.

The need I have is learning to use, and teaching T9, something that is not really easy with only these two options.

The ability to T9 to a new "note" rather than SMS (which is not even available on itouch and ipad) would greatly increase it's value for me, no only for learning, but for making notes, reminders, etc.

Beverly Howard

T9wordRules

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
Qwerty is for using all fingers on a regular keyboard... Phones need t9 word.... What is wrong with people who like qwerty. I think those people are iZombies and will like anything mac puts out. 2 thumb texting = T9 word

And with droid you can press and hold to access other things instead of clicking a button to access a symbol then hit it again to go back to letters.... LAME. Droid is much more advanced in the texting department...

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Qwerty is for using all fingers on a regular keyboard... Phones need t9 word.... What is wrong with people who like qwerty. I think those people are iZombies and will like anything mac puts out. 2 thumb texting = T9 word

And with droid you can press and hold to access other things instead of clicking a button to access a symbol then hit it again to go back to letters.... LAME. Droid is much more advanced in the texting department...

I've tried T9 on an Android phone, and it doesn't work very well. Qwerty is fine for two-thumbed use.

proxyLain

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2014
Shouldn't T9 be faster? I mean, you don't need to move your thumbs as much?

Ofcourse we're talking about T9 with predictive text vs QWERTY with predictive text.
The old thing where you'll need to press 5 three times just to get an L, and then 4 three tims to get an I is just soo sloow.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.